or Connect

Posts by Curious

MamaMae - thanks for the story and the link. I especially like the article on laughter (Playlistening). I believe that laughter, as well as lots of running around playing (working off steam) are also excellent outlets for the stresses of babyhood. 68 - This is long, if you didn't write a novel, I have: I beg to differ with you, respectfully, that infants do not suffer stress. I did not go into that detail because I can't review all of Solter's background material. I'll...
Solter claims they are the same (she doesn't discuss Pantly, but I think she is describing the same kind of crying Pantley seeks to deal with), that crying at night before sleep is an opportunity for discharge of the days stress - that when kids are sleepy they are most subject to feeling the stress and needing to release it. She also believes the cause of broken sleep and need for nighttime nursing (in a child who no longer needs the nighttime nutrition) is the result of...
I'm wondering about this because I read the Aware Baby many months ago. The author, Alethea Solter, asserts that crying is a stress release mechanism for infants experiencing the trials and tribulations of infancy. She only advocates CRYING WHILE BEING HELD by a compassionate listener, not CIO. She feels that sleep disturbances, whininess, and tantrums are largely the result of suppressed need to cry. Suppression occurrs through distraction and use of "control...
Quote: if you can fit your behind in a baby chair, methinks your baby takes after you? sevenkids, that is so funny, I may tell it to the doctor is he gets worried on me at the next visit. One question for all of you: do you consider Wholefoods organic Angel Fluffs a healthy food? One day when I was desparate, I offered them to Dd and she liked them. They are all organic and not salty. I think she liked them because they are easy to eat herself...
Those sound like 2 for my wishlist for Dh. For Christmas he gave me 2 books: Out of the Flames, on a religious thinker burnt at the stake by John Calvin, who then went on to steal some of his ideas. The other, which I had asked for, Love at Goon Park, about Harry Harlow's work on describing the importance of mother love, which made huge strides to around years of thinking that kids did not need affection. I learned that the family bed in this country was first condemned...
cindi - we used Baby's Only from day 10, when my supply couldn't keep up with Dd's first growth spurt. She doesn't care much for the stuff now that she has all these other foods to peruse, but thanks for thinking of it - the stuff was a G-ddess send when we needed it. angel - thanks for all the assurances of NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!! as well as the weights on your 2 kids. Interesting to know.
Thanks for the reassurance. Our dr, who sells himself as Dr. AP/EBF, actually has little experience - he's not out of training long and I don't think he's seen many EBF babies. He flipped out over the lack of weight gain between 9 and 12 months. I am less worried than he is(Dh and I are both long and thin), but the anxiety he provoked still niggles at me, especially when I see Dd eat little when I can't fully rely on my milk to make up amything lacking. sevenkids, I...
Dh is glad he was able to amuse. He admits the hypothesis is flawed when it comes to his younger sister, since it is clear to him (and should be to everyone else) that he is superior.:LOL
Dd, if some of you recall from other posts, is a particular eater and the doctor says she has a weight problem (underweight). She was 19 pounds at 9 months, 19 pounds at 12 months, 21 at 15 months, and 21.5 now at 16.5 months. I have low milk supply, so I can't depend on breastmilk to make up for her eating ups and downs. I don't eat regular meals myself, but I go to the table for breakfast, midday, and dinner. For snacks I've been spreading a picnic blanket on the...
All the time; I felt like I was on some sort of webcam with a continuous observer. I told Dd about it, and how when I prepared for my amnio I explained everything that was going to happen, and how Dd should stay still and far away from the needle (I called it a little probe) entry site. When we got there to do it, they put the ultrasound on, and Dh was alarmed; last time she was moving all over. Dd was quiet in a far recess. There was another ultrasound where they...