or Connect

Posts by mtbmomma

I am not in grad school, but my husband is just finishing up his grad program, so I thought I would reply based on our circumstances.  We moved to an area we don't really enjoy for grad school, but did receive funding for the first two years and a $900 a month stipend.  For us, the funding wasn't all that beneficial, since my husband could have made more working while in classes than he did from his stipend, and he wasn't allowed to work while on the assistantship.  I...
Do you have any parks or nature trails you two could go walking on?  That way if he does melt down, nobody else will be around to worry about.  I second the idea of a schedule, all preschoolers thrive on schedules, and even more so if they are autistic.  I would write a simple one out on a large poster board, complete with pictures, and post it somewhere where you guys can look at it each day.  If you can take actual pictures of the places/activities that you do, then...
If you are looking more for friends for you, have you tried looking for some groups based around your interests (ie. Knitting, running, hiking...)? Try searching for your town on meetup.com. I have found that it is more important to me to meet like minded friends than just other moms. I have enjoyed having mom friends, but after a while it got hard if we couldn't relate in some other way. We have moved around every 1-2 years since Dd (4.5) was born, and it usually...
  I agree, accept my daughter is an introvert and has no interest in playing with other kids at this age.  I am considering school for her so I can have the opportunity to explore things outside of mothering, but at this point I think she would be happiest homeschooled (which is still the plan, but we are waiting until she is school age to make any final decisions).
My Dd (almost 4) loves homemade pumpkin pudding for breakfast. Just a large can of pumpkin, 3 eggs, 1 cup milk or coconut milk, pumpkin pie spice and a bit of sweetener of your choice (optional) . Also a banana with almond butter and sprinkled with coconut when we aren't up for eggs or yogurt, usually with a glass of milk. I usually eat eggs, leftovers, a piece of fruit or skip breakfast myself.
Thanks for your reply, it is good to know others are in the same situation.  I think I will do just as you said, offer but not push play dates.  It seems like DD has been really intense in general recently, and I don't want to make things any more stressful than they already are.  Everyone says four is such a wonderful age, and I hope they are right because the end of three has been a lot of work:)
I think she may be.  She really doesn't care for group situations, and she gets very anxious and becomes clingy when we go to things like performances (musical events, etc.)  We went to a children's song and dance event at the library the other day, and she enjoyed the music, but was hiding her face in my shirt and kind of freaked out when they came in the crowd to shake our hands.  And yesterday we were biking by a children's circus, and she didn't want to stop at all...
We have done the putting toys she doesn't want to share away in her room, but had the same problem.  Someone went in there and she just melted down, and she still had a hard time with the toys we kept out (blocks etc.) which I consider communal toys.  This may be an only child thing, but I am beginning to think it is just her personality. 
Sweetsilver, I think DD will likely be similar.  I think if we had more opportunities to play with older kids she would do that too, although she doesn't seem interested in older kids at the park.  Most of the time she just wants to play with me, and I am getting kind of tired of being the playmate all the time, especially since DH has been working 8 days on/6 days off, so I am single parenting every other week.     Crunchy_mommy, I am really looking forward to...
Crunchy_Mommy, I like the idea of a more routine play date with just one other family, however making that happen has been tricky in the past.  Maybe once summer travel calms down we can make something happen.     I guess I didn't mention that I do enjoy the adult interaction as well, however I think I need to branch out and make some friends with shared interests, instead of just moms.  We have moved around a lot in the past few years and will be moving again soon,...