or Connect

Posts by maptome

I feel a little sick looking at everyone's numbers here. I would say the average home cost here is $600k. Where we live, an original 1960s 1,200 sqft house would be about $450k. They get much larger and updated. Maybe a few miles from my house prices are up to $5M.  Our rental is a busted up old house and our rent is $2200/month.  We live here because we want to live near DH's work. He's going on an interview for a job in Silicon Valley in a couple of weeks.  He's gotten...

My 3YO DD1 just received a new large scale building set.  She set out to build a fort and hammock for her baby sister.  After getting a little frustrated, she ran to her room and pulled out a baby catalog for reference.  She was looking at a picture of a crib and a swing.  I almost died laughing realizing she was jealous of babies in cribs because she thinks they have really cool forts.
There is an element of risk with a bond fund, so if you're okay with losing money, then go for it.  I would replenish it back to your emergency fund goal number though if the value goes down.  We keep a year of income for our emergency fund in cash.  It sucks to think about lost potential income, but I just think of it as paying for a "financial insurance."  
...aaand now I want more babies. =)
My DD is almost 4 and she can't go down the slide.  When other kids tell her to, she says "No, that one is a little bit too fast for me." I am so so proud of her. =)
Last year we lived in a place that had a very high wild fire threat.   We had a box in the garage next to our car with our must-take items. 1) important papers (in a fire proof box) 2) old family photos from my mother 3) jewelry (in the fire proof box)   Additionally, we backed up all of our family photos and videos to the cloud.   And when faced with the reality of all of our stuff burning to the ground, it was not that scary.  We had a plan, "Grab the...
I love this thread. I have a 3.5 year old and a 15 month old, and right now, I keep fantasizing about all the naps I'm going to take when they go to school.  I needed to read these responses. Thank you!
DD2 is 15 months and absolutely wants to participate in whatever DD1 (3yo) is doing.  So far, everything has been really frustrating (for me).  She eats rice from the rice bin.  She eats playdough.  She eats paint.  Not taste, but eats.  It's still too cold for the water table and usually just too wet for too much outdoor play.  We try to go outside as much as possible.   Things that are working are Duplos, playsilks, blocks, so toys for the most part.  **I'm looking...
I didn't read through all the threads, but it sounds like you are doing way way way too much.  Did I read that it takes and hour to drive to the library? I would never go to the library if it was an hour away.  We have three libraries within a 10 minute drive, and I take my kids maybe once a week.  And it's still a big deal.  Packing up the kids with their bikes and all their crap to go out walking is NOT destressing.  That sounds like a nightmare.  I try to go out...