or Connect

Posts by maptome

We have a 3.5 yo and 14 mo.  We recently moved across country.  We want to take a vacation or two this year because DH gets 3 weeks that just disappear if he doesn't take them, but I'm too lazy to plan a vacation.  I'm thinking staycation.  DH thinks that is the most depressing concept ever.  We moved here a couple of months ago, and there is still a lot to explore locally. Right? But we would see it all eventually, don't need to make a vacation of it...   Any...
Wow.  Thank you for all of the responses.  I love hearing your experiences and advice.  It really helps me. I've read through everyone's responses a couple of times.   The school district we are currently in has a high population of gifted kids, and there is special attention paid to them.  There is a GT middle school.  Silly me, it didn't even occur to me that public school could possibly be a good option.  I'm obviously new to thinking about schooling.   Our...
  Thanks! It would be the other way around, though. I would feel more comfortable investing in a public school district if I was more sure that the kids would be closer to center of the bell curve, and therefore more likely to succeed.  But I guess I can foresee how any number of things could be in place in which public schooling wouldn't work.  We live in an area with access to very good public schools.   Perhaps my questions are more about schooling than giftedness. I'm...
This may be a bit of a spinoff of the genetics thread.   DH and I would were categorized as gifted as children.  I haven't been concerned about my kids, the oldest is 3.5.  After a conversation with a family member, I'm a bit worried that I may be doing them a disservice by not expecting that they are gifted.   We've moved recently, and we're still in the process of finding a more permanent home, which includes looking at public schools.   I assumed it's too...
Help. My 3.5 year old freaks out if she's not right next to me.  I leave her briefly to nurse the baby, like 5 minutes, and she's in hysterics.  She wakes up 2-3 times a night searching for her dad.  We moved recently, which is probably adding to her insecurity.   What do you ladies think? Is it okay to leave her alone for some "quiet time" so I can get the baby down for a nap? Or am I really harming her, and I should just let the baby get exhausted until she passes...
I can't decide Which is better: 1) short flight, stop, long flight or 2) two equal duration flights?
Agreed!   I find this akin to telling my 3 year old about public vs private.  Like how it's okay to pick your nose at home, or be naked, etc.  Or how it's okay to talk to some people about poop, but some people don't want to talk about that.  I think the kissing topic is a great teaching moment for respect and tolerance for other people's values.
This brings up insecurities I had when I was a kid.  I never wanted leftovers because of the smell, and I thought the food was too ethnic and emphasized my difference.  I perhaps, got some questions, like, "What's that?"  I was sensitive to being different, and definitely noticed nearly all the other kids had sandwiches.  I was one of 2 or 3 non-white people in the ENTIRE school.  I would converse with the kid, and then, most likely, I would tend to try to figure out how...
I don't "regret" cosleeping, but when DP has to go out of town and I'm outnumbered, or our sleep routine gets changed up, I think to myself, "I wish my kids didn't need us so much at night."  When DD2 can't nap w/o me, or gets up early because I've tried to sneak out, I curse a little in my head. Even given those situations, I don't regret it.  Everything is a tradeoff, and I'm never trapped in my decisions.
3.5 year old in one bed w/DP.  DD1 still wakes infrequently, maybe once a week, but cries very loudly and for a longish duration.   10 month old in bed w/me in another room.  She mostly fusses to nurse, but otherwise stays asleep.    Works great for us! I would love for all of us to sleep together, but I'm too afraid of the kids waking each other up.  Plus, it seems like it would take forever to get both of them to sleep in the same room; they get each other so...