or Connect

Posts by loonar

I have a 13-month-old. We're down to naps and nighttime for nursing. In almost all respects I'm thrilled with our current nursing relationship, and we overcame huge challenges (tongue tie, thrush, recurrent plugged ducts to the point where I weaned him off that side completely) to get here.   But the teeth. Oh, the teeth! He was late to get them and now he's making up for lost time. And no matter what I try to do to soothe his poor mouth before nursing, he chews on...
I got one of these the other day -- my son is teething and changed his latch in a way that did some damage, and I ended up with a blood blister. I exclusively pumped that side for about two days (painful, but not as painful as nursing) and used a little ointment on the nipple after each pumping session. I went with APNO because it's what I had on hand. It cleared right up. There's still a little scab but it doesn't hurt to nurse anymore.   Hope that helps...
Milk blisters are often related to thrush; it could be that you've got a stubborn case of it, and need to continue treatment.   I have recurring milk blisters on one side. They sure do hurt. I've found that once the blister breaks, the pain improves pretty rapidly. You can help it along with a clean fingernail or sterilized needle.   Best of luck to you!
I do quite a bit of hand expression. It is without a doubt more effective than the pump, but a lot more time consuming. Right now I'm really trying to focus on getting as much actual nursing in as I can, even though it's awfully painful.   Honestly the blood is really disconcerting. I'm getting blood in my milk once or twice a week and it's not always associated with nipple damage. Last weekend there was so much blood it made my poor baby vomit. We are talking bright...
Thank you so much to all of you for taking the time to reply.      This is really interesting. I do have blanched nipples after feeding or pumping, and they randomly turn blue-grey throughout the day, so I had thought of vasospasm. But the pain I'm having isn't associated with any of the color changing. I'm also not sure that vasospasm would explain the bleeding, and the obvious milk blisters? I'm so sorry you've had such a rough go of it, too.   I have begun to suspect...
I have Bipolar I and took Lamictal for years. I weaned off it before trying to get pregnant and replaced with very high dose fish oil at my psychiatrist's recommendation. This has been working well for me throughout pregnancy and nursing my now 9-month-old son. May not work for everyone (I was diagnosed more than a decade ago and have lots of coping mechanisms and support systems in place). But it's something to consider, at least. Best of luck to your friend.
Maybe this is just a vent. I'm going to see my awesome LC as soon as possible.   For the past 2+ months (my son is 8 months old) I have been getting recurrent plugged ducts on one side. Like every day. I feel like all I am ever doing lately is working out a plug. It's not always the same duct. Some of them are really stubborn and excruciating. Honestly I feel like I am constantly about 10 minutes away from a mean case of mastitis. It all started with a milk blister,...
Our awesome pediatrician just went to some sort of relevant conference and came back saying that based on the most recent research, she is confident that it's unnecessary to delay introduction of any foods unless there are food allergies in the immediate family. The only food she recommended avoiding was honey (raw -- as an ingredient in something cooked it's fine). And of course chokeables (e.g. nut butters spread thinly on something are okay, but nuts or a wad of nut...
What a truly beautiful thread. Thank you all for putting yourselves out there.   I was humbled by birth. I went from 2cm dilated to baby-in-arms in 2.5 hours, and the pain was so huge, so terrifying, so unrelenting. The peaceful HypnoBabies birth I had envisioned for myself went out the window; I just could not stay ahead of my body. If I'd had the option of pain relief, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat. Never again will I look down my nose at someone who chooses an...
Sorry for veering a little off topic, but I want to thank you for sharing this. This is so so interesting to me, as my childhood memory of the bearhug is so positive. (Incidentally, I think of myself as "claustrophilic" -- I'm powerfully comforted by small spaces and the feeling of being enclosed.) What a stark reminder of how we need to tailor our approaches to the personalities of our individual children.