or Connect

Posts by vegankelly

I just saw a cat "house" that I want to make. It is a rubber tub with a hole cut in the side. Lining the hole is  brush like stuff (I don't know what to call it, but we have something similar at the bottom of our doors to keep the cold air out) which I imagine cuts down on cat litter, and also protects the cat from sharp plastic sides. There are some amazing IKEA mods out there, but the tub seems like the cheapest and easiest (if not the prettiest). Blocking the box off...
I have to keep intentionally forgetting about the premiere, because I am way too excited for it to come out. If mine was old enough to enjoy it (or young enough to sleep through the whole thing) we'd be there (and suffer the consequences the next day). :)
To start, hang the clothes outside at least overnight. It may take a while longer than that for the smoke to dissipate, but I have found that just leaving things on the clothes line for a few days works wonders for both smoke and fragrance. The smoke may linger more on natural fibers, but I have gotten rid of smoke from wooden furniture (that came from a smoker's house) by leaving it in the attic for a few months. Good luck!
Do NOT let CPS in your house. Do NOT sign anything they give you. IANAL, but CPS has no authority to enter your home, interview your kids, etc. WITHOUT A WARRANT. If they think your kids are abused, maybe let them *see* the kids so they know they are in no immediate danger and haven't been harmed. Especially  if you live outside the norm (co-sleeping, extended BF, home school, non-vax, whatever), be ware.   People sometimes have nosy and vindictive neighbors, so...
you have received a lot of good advice, and this thread is interesting to me as i have many issues with disrespectful/abusive family especially when it comes to nursing, co-sleeping, and pretty much any child rearing issue. the only thing i want to add is that you need to find a real life tribe, girl. it is great having the mdc forum, but you said that in addition to the family stuff, your friends aren't on board with your choices either. *if* you can find anyone in...
Quote: Originally Posted by umsami For those of you in the Albany area, Pioneer--the Troy Community Food Co-op opened last week. (OK, I think it was last week...might have been the week before.) If Troy's not too much of a hike for you, stop by and support the new venture. (And Xs to Os Vegan Bakery isn't too far away.) The Food Co-op is open every day 8 am to 8 p.m. (I think). Xs to Ox is open to the public Wed-Sun. Mmmm. Xs to Os. We had...
Steam it first. Then bake, fry, whatever. We love the hot sauce tempeh from veganomicon. Recipe here.
Nope! At 7.5 mos old now, maybe The Babe has slept 4+ hours 3 or 4 times. Usually, I don't even know... 4? 5? 6? It seems like she eats more often at night during the day now. Generally I go to bed a few hours after her, and she eats at least 3 - 4 times in those 8 hours.
Dr. Kotlow in Albany, NY (http://www.kiddsteeth.com/) did The Babe's tongue tie and upper lip tie at 5 days old. We were very lucky to have our homebirth MW diagnose the tt when The Babe was about 5 minutes old, and confirmed by Dr. Mike Morin 1 day later at her first ped visit. Dr. Kotlow did not take our insurance, so it cost $450. This was a flat fee for the LASER surgery, all follow up visits, and any repeat procedures. He said her lip was the worst he had seen and...
I usually wear a tank top/nursing tank and, if it is cool, another shirt on top. (I am way more self-conscious about exposing my mamma belly than my mamma boobies, so the tank really helps.) I reach under the top shirt (from the bottom or from the neck--depends on the shirt) and unbuckle the nursing tank or nursing bra. Then, with a regular tank, I pull the bra down and pop the boob over top of the tank top. With a nursing tank, I just pull the flap down. Then I pull up...