or Connect

Posts by jen in co

I normally participate in these threads and hadn't gotten around to this one.   I saw your request and decided I'd post here.   My DS is a June birthday and started school as a newly turn 5 year old, 6 weeks after his birthday (my DD is actually a late Aug birthday who started at 4, but you asked for examples with boys, so I'll talk about him first).   It would have been a disaster for him to wait a year.   As it was, he went to a 2nd/3rd grade class 2x per week and...
That's interesting that her IQ score varied from her COGAT so much.   My understanding was that while group administered screening tests like the COGAT frequently miss kids with high IQs, kids who score high (97%+) normally also score in that range for IQ testing.   Basically COGAT tends to have more false negatives than false positives, but for kids who do score high, the correlation is significant.   We've held off on any formal IQ testing for our entering 1st grader...
My DS was a young 5 year old starting K in an area with lots of redshirting.   He started K reading at about an end of 2nd grade level and while it took a few weeks for the teacher to notice/test him adequately, they really did a lot for him.   He was subject accelerated for reading to the high reading group in a 2nd grade class;   got to spend 2-3 hours/week with the librarian working on research projects and got to skip some of the center stuff in K.   He made great...
I have a little bit of familiarity with NYC's GT program.  Isn't it still somewhat of a lottery in terms of where you'll get placed even if your child scores a 99%?   I know they guarantee everyone a placement somewhere (who scores above a 90%), but it seems like the most sought after programs (citywide GTs) don't ever go below that 99% to fill their seats.  If I were you, I'd fill out the application, but make my decision based on which specific school she gets placed...
Just to assuage the mommy guilt some...think about getting 1-on-1 time with your younger kiddos...something your son got before they came along :)
There are other, more knowledgeable people on this board who will have great ideas too, but I wonder what tests/diagnostic tools were used to qualify for the gifted program.  My very similar DS just finished up testing for our district's gifted center program and we'll get his results in a few weeks.  Two of the things that the GT teacher at our school emphasized to me were:   (1)  Testing at ages 5 -7 (and below) often results in false negatives...there aren't many...
Just wanted to echo some of the things that PPs have said.   It truly depends on how your local schools differentiate and so much of that is school specific.   My older DD is mildly gifted (tested high in Math 99%+ but only 94%+ on verbal and around 90% in visual spatial).   She's a typical high achieving kid who is happy in her school with the little bit of acceleration they do for the kids on quantitative ALPs (Advanced Learning Plans).   She's also completely...
    This is the policy at our school.  Our teachers have tended to only send home a subset of the work that was done in class and then we have one extra day for each day we were home sick to get it done.   My DD often gets it done while lying around on the couch, but if not, I don't worry about it...  
I just wanted to echo a few of the things that PPs have said.   I would really look at whether his fine motor skills are up to snuff for a grade skip.  My DS is in K and is one of the younger kids (late June BDay in an area with lots of redshirting) -- his math skills aren't as advanced (maybe 1-2 years ahead), but he reads at a mid-late 3rd grade level (currently gets subject acceleration to a 2nd grade classroom).  But, his fine motor skills are very age-typical.   The...
  Our school sounds similar...nothing fried, all whole wheat bread products, similar fruits and veggies.  We do have pizza on fridays every other week, chicken nuggets (baked not fried) 1x every 2 weeks, and hamburgers (on wheat buns).   Otherwise, our rotation includes a hot lunch choice, a cold lunch choice, and a salad.   Examples of Hot Lunch choices are soft tacos, burritos, teriyaki chicken, veggies and fried rice, baked penne pasta (whole wheat), macaroni& cheese,...