or Connect

Posts by FiveZip

I don't think it's anything unusual.  Some kids don't need to sleep that much and unfortunately for me, that was my DD.  She dropped her first nap at 7 months!  She was nursing to sleep when one day, I was surprised to find she didn't fall asleep at her usual napping hour #1.  She continued to nurse every 2 hours, though, nap #1 or not.  Then, by 2 yo, she started transitioning to no nap at all.  It took 6 months to completely drop it.  One day, she wouldn't need a nap,...
I totally agree with Monzie.  OP, this must be so difficult because you have your work and daycare schedule to consider.  I don't have any new advice to add that might work with your situation, but I really feel your struggle.  Hugs to you, you are not alone.     I also have a child who, I wouldn't go as far as to say have sleep disorder, but definitely not a sleeper.  She never slept the recommended amount for the age, dropped her first nap at 7 months, and nursing...
  Am I correct that if it's organic, it's "supposed" to be GMO-free?  But some common organic companies are actually owned by mega food corporations and I heard recently that some companies lied about their organics being GMO-free.  I wonder if looking for the "NON-GMO PROJECT" label on the product would help.     Sunday Crepes, thanks for sharing the avocado oil idea.  The price is not cheap, though, although it is still cheaper than really good olive oils.  I don't...
The pediatrician asked whether I wanted to do that, but that would mean my DD won't be able to receive ANY vaccine after I claim it.  I didn't want that.  It's so tricky.....   And, A&A, thanks for that info.  Were you talking about disease vax or flu shots?  I'll call around in the future, but our pediatrician does not charge co-pay for shot visits.  Getting single doses would cost me a lot of money if I go to a pharmacy.
It sounds like many of you at least had a choice whether to vax or not vax, give standard or mercury-free.  First of all, when I spoke to our pediatrician, she said they have to give whatever vaccines they get sent from the state.  Many offices and clinics I spoke with in upstate NY (where we lived when DD was born) and in CT are pretty much the same. I cannot specify a certain brand of vaccine.  I would have no choice of giving my DD a mercury-free one....
Re: fats in the kids' diet - I'm not sure if anyone mentioned nut butters, as long as they are not on her elimination list.  I mix nut butters (sunflower seed butter, cashew, almond) into my DD's yogurt and also put a lot on her toast.  Nut butters seem easier on her tummy than eating plain nuts.  My friend makes a smoothie with a banana and nut butter, adding raw kale to it sometimes.  It's surprisingly tasty.  
My almost 4 yo DD did, and still does, the same thing.  She never keeps a blanket on.  My solution for the cold weather was to add an additional layer of fleece onesie-type pajamas from Carter's, on top of the 2-piece long sleeve pajamas.  Our apartment is colder than most and she is usually warm enough with that without a cover.  In the cold, cold winter days in the Northeast, I use an over-sized comforter that covers both of us and then some.  That usually keeps her...
It's interesting that many of you mentioned not salting the beans during the soaking process because it makes the skin tough.  Cooks Illustrated did a test on how to make the skin softer.  This was the result:     "Brining isn’t just for meat. When you soak dried beans in salted water, they cook up with softer skins. Why? It has to do with how the sodium ions in salt interact with the cells of the bean skins. As the beans soak, the sodium ions replace some of the...
Regarding bed time: my toddler was like yours.  From the time she was born up to 3 years old, she absolutely had her own ideas about when to go to bed.  I tried a routine like everyone suggested, and she did not do well at all.  We tried bath before bed and even that was a fight.  She just didn't want to take a bath everyday.  Forcing bath time would make her hate bath even more.  If she was not ready to go to bed, she just wouldn't settle enough.  However, when she was...
      I am in southern CT, but I used to live by the NH border of MA and I know where exeter is.  I might consider traveling.  How do I get in touch with you?  I am still unsure how to fully take advantage of these connections.