or Connect

Posts by miami mommy

I'm a child (and grandchild and greatgrandchild, etc) of alcoholics, so I hope I can help you out. It sounds like your counselor is right about your DH having unresolved childhood trauma. It's quite common for people who had traumatic or abusive childhoods to block out the trauma and refer to their childhood in vague, but glowing terms. People with good childhoods will describe their childhoods in glowing terms, but will *also* be able to recall the not-so-rosy events...
I put stretch mark oil on my belly everyday while I was pregnant with DS and I still got stretch marks. I only gained 24 lbs with him, but when I think back on how much my skin had to stretch, I can't imagine how I could have avoided them. When they were new they were purple and I was pretty repulsed by them, but they've since faded to white and I don't find them ugly anymore. I'm pretty indifferent to them now, but it did take a little while to accept all of the changes...
My mom smoked pot regularly while she was pregnant with me and I wouldn't intervene if I saw someone doing the same thing now. I came out plump and healthy and I don't think it had any effect on me, but of course I'm just one data point, so that's not an endorsement or anything. I just think this is a MYOB issue. What I'm really grateful for is that even though my mom was smoking pot, she was eating healthy and abstaining from alcohol. My grandmother (mom's mom) smoked...
I felt my baby moving at 10 weeks, it felt like a tiny butterfly. The first day I felt it I thought I just had some overactive nerves, but I felt the exact same thing the next day, so I'm pretty sure it was the baby. I just had my first appointment and, sure enough, my midwife located the heartbeat in the same area where I felt movement. 
Yeah, the first trimester is weird like that. You have the symptoms to show you're pregnant, but it's hard to really connect with the baby when you can't feel it and you're not showing very much. Most of the time I forget that I'm pregnant, then the nausea hits and I remember. Don't worry about not being excited yet. Soon you'll start feeling the baby's little flutters, and later the kicks, rolls, punches, and hiccups and it will become way more real to you. That's when...
 I am so sorry for what that intern did to you, it's so very awful. I wanted to give you extra hugs as someone else who has a schizophrenic mom. It's extra hard to be your mom's caretaker at a time like this when you really need her to be able to take care of you. You must be an incredible person just for what you do for her, I know just how hard it is. I wish you healing through this situation, no matter what you decide, whether you decide to become a mother this...
I have a couple nursing covers and they have served me well. But I'm pretty modest, so it makes me more comfortable to use them, especially when I'm nursing in close quarters (like planes) or in front of my family. Mine are pretty colorful, so it is like waving a big flag saying "look, I'm breastfeeding", but that doesn't bother me at all. Considering how rarely I've seen other mamas NIP, I'm happy to be out representing.  
Quote: My DS is Evan Matthew! Those two names go together so well. And I have to compliment your excellent taste in names!   
All I've been eating for dinner lately is soup. It's the only thing that is actually appealing to me in the evenings and doesn't make me nauseous afterwards. My appetite is decent in the morning, but as soon as I get food in my belly, the nausea kicks in. 
That is so cool that you're feeling your baby move already! During my pregnancy with DS, I started feeling him moving at 13 weeks. This was right after we had our first ultrasound and he was flipping around during the whole ultrasound. So I knew he was really mobile and it was so cool to start feeling it. But the next time I saw my OB, I told her that I was feeling the baby move (she asked) and she told me that it was probably just gas and then she marked on my chart...