or Connect

Posts by jenifera2

Hmm, I lost weight quickly then stalled. Was 30 pounds below pre-pregnancy weight by around 3.5 months (Christmas-ish) and have just stayed there since. I've been attributing it to a combination of less exercise with the icky weather and less than great food choices, but now that it's getting nice again and I'm cooking foods that I intend for Caitlin to eat (and will eat them myself) I'm hoping to restart and lose the 15-20 I've still got to go. We'll see . . .
I generally use a wrap, but I do it like this video (using an ergo) shows. I think it's pretty much what MamaBriTo2 said, and it took some practice to feel comfortable.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q36idyn7g0
Mae - I've been wondering about you since this thread started. I even went back to find your most recent posts, but nothing since January, so it's good to hear you're doing (relatively) okay! That little one is such a cutie. :)
I've seen several discussions here of crying in arms, and get the idea in theory, but I can't be the only one who has difficulty with it in practice. For instance:   How do I know for sure all her needs have actually been met. If she stops crying when I nurse her, how can I be sure that she wasn't actually hungry. What if I last fed her an hour ago? Two? Three? And is comfort nursing a need? I've always thought of nursing on demand as including the demand to nurse...
Wow, I can't imagine the Moby still being comfortable anywhere near that long! You've gotten your money's worth from it, I'd think! :)   I'm not quite clear what you're looking for. Have you tried a woven wrap? There are some poppable carries, like with the moby, that you can leave tied and put the baby in and out, but it sounds like maybe you don't want to wear the wrap all day? I can't blame you for that! There are plenty of other carries that you'd tie each time...
Looking more into those mattress options and trying to decide. The "organic" cotton mattresses are kind of a labeling scam - the cotton cover was grown organically, but the rest of the mattress is still usually as toxic as any other. The soybean foam one seems to have a non-toxic fire retardant (maybe boric acid, from what I can find online), but I'm not sure. I don't love soybeans in general, since most are GMO and I'd rather not support that, but it may be a better...
ChelseaWantsOut - Thanks! She seemed to enjoy gumming it.   I haven't been bitten while nursing yet, though Caitlin did accidentally latch on to a non-nipple part of my boob, which didn't feel so good. But she never tried again, so I didn't need to do anything except break the latch. I've been told by other nursing moms that the best course of action is to say ouch, loudly enough to get the point across, but not so loudly that you freak baby out, and put them down on...
Corinne - BLW is baby led weaning - www.babyledweaning.com - offering babies table foods from the start of feeding solids rather than spoon-feeding them purees, and allowing them to lead the way in what and how much they eat. There's no need to make or buy special foods for baby, and they learn to eat a variety of tastes and textures from the beginning, plus they learn to handle chunks of food in their mouths when the gag reflex (which protects against choking) is...
We're planning to do BLW, but will play it by ear as we go and use purees if there's a situation in which it makes sense.   I was trying to post earlier during the forum outage that Caitlin just recently seems to enjoy taking medicine. Both Mylicon and Tylenol, she opens wide when she sees me get the dropper out of the bottle, and she licks the liquid and swallows well. I was thinking that's a sign of solids readiness (no tongue thrust with the medicine) and wondered...
So glad to hear Clayton's doing better and is at home. **Hugs**