or Connect

Posts by breezyleigh

Hiya again, everyone.  Dd is about 3.5.  This has been an issue for at least a year.  She is extremely intelligent and ahead of her peers,however I am really starting to get a bit worried about the stammering.   I believe it is stress-related because of when it gets better and when it worsens.   How long should I allow this to go on before I maybe give EI a ring?  I have mentioned it to her teachers and there are still a few other kiddos with the same issue and...
Haley,   My kiddo is very much like this, as well, as I have always been.  Miranda gave some great ideas.  Even as a very shy child, I did a lot of school-based acting performances.   One thing I've seen from my Dd is that it really helps to boost vocabulary, if your kiddo can apply what she learns to different situations.  The trivial pursuit should also help her academically and it's a great brain exercise.  She also should have an easier time with spelling and...
Thanks!  Most of this stuff we already do...all but the museum, which I plan on doing with her soon.  Monetary issues is the only problem.  We have some science centers close, as well, which I KNOW she will love.   Her favorite learning activity, so far, is the disappearing chalk numbers.  She would have done that all day, if I'd let her...which there's nothing wrong with that, but still need to do something else, too LOL   I did notice she has trouble...
Hiya everyone.  I'm back.  Kiddo is now three.  She is artistically gifted, very busy, very physical, and hands-on.   I've come up with and found different ideas on how to apply her strengths to her insatiable desire to learn.   So far, I am thinking of doing things like Playdough Fossils, a Dinosaur Dig, Shoelace shapes, and the "Disappearing Chalk Letters" with both letters and numbers.   She wants to "play school" all the time and I want to give her the...
Well, Miranda...this part all started when the kiddo was demanding I turn on the TV and I told her she had overstepped her boundaries with those demands.  I had told her, you're the child and I'm the adult, here.  I know, looking back, that was a mistake.  I'm far from perfect.  Over all, though, I feel better about many of the ways I am parenting her, after reading some of these replies, especially your last reply.  I had a woman at work actually condemn me for getting...
Thanks for the replies and (duh) I didn't even think of the fact that most would be without formal schooling before then.  And thanks for the ideas.  We already do interest-based fun learning and since she's a sponge and has quite the memory, things stick easily and quickly.  Right now I have her in gymnastics and in the fall, we will probably start dance, too.  So, along with that stuff and the park and reading groups (you know, maybe the reading groups can help with...
So, parents, what is your advice?  I can't afford private school (and DD's father would have to agree, which he wouldn't) and the state is looking at removing PK and K from the curriculum.  Should I home school DD when it gets to that point.  She will only be 3 in June, so she will be a late schooler, anyway, but here is the problem:   DD's half sister was already tested and they wanted to move the child up two years ahead.  DD's dad won't let them move her...
Thanks, everyone.  Honestly, we had a lot of luck with it around 20 months, so I thought we were done.  But, then again, we both have pressure from her father and that, I can't stop, so she is getting mixed messages.  She's just so advanced in everything...BUT this, so I suppose the balance has to be somewhere.  It's just difficult when one side of the parenting duo listens to nothing on the other.  Her half-sister was very similar, but not sure when she finally trained...
What a pain in the bum...literally.  She has almost a constant rash because she now refuses to have her BM in the potty.   Anyone else have big issues with potty training?   Milestones have all been there massively early and then some.  The potty, however, is a bear.  I'm met with, "Momma.  I don't want to poop in the potty.  I need to poop in my pants," and tantrums galore.  She did, at one time about a year ago, use the toilet for both, but now she "prefers,"...
Thanks, Smithie :)  And the GAL received a copy of that the next day.  I looked back at dates and, honestly, it's been nearly two months since he called with the desire to change the visitation.  Still no papers from him.  After awhile, from what I've read, it makes it seem less and less important to him and exposes his true agenda.  If it were SO important to him to change it to a place where our child cannot go, he should have filed already.  I'm just tired of his...