or Connect

Posts by Laurski

Oh, and I forgot to ask you guys--how are your LOs naps?  For a few months Ellie (finally!) had a nice, consistent nap schedule--lately they seem to be all over the place (and for all different lengths of time).  At first I thought she was moving to a one nap a day schedule, but given how sleepy/grumpy she is when her morning nap is pushed back too far, I don't think she's quite ready for it yet.    
Kelly--that's really good to know about Em.  Am I right in remembering she waited to talk, too?  That seems to be the track Ellie's on.  (By the way--are you guys ok after the earthquake yesterday?)   Ellie's also a holy terror around our place.  Swathes of destruction left behind everywhere.  The worst part is that the layout of our apartment makes it very tough to babyproof certain areas, and she's recently discovered places that aren't safe.  Problem-solving...
Wow!  So many babies doing so many things these days--so much fun!   I'm coming to think Little Miss Eleanor is a bit of a perfectionist and therefore is hesitant to try new things until she's confident she can do them well.  For example, she was definitely on the later side of crawling--she waited until she was 9 months old, then went from army crawling to cross crawling in about a day.  Now she's cruising everywhere, and usually walks around our couch barely...
A friend of mine was going through something similar, and was freaking out about going back to work.  Her daughter just would not take a bottle.  She went to an LC, who did the following (and it worked!):   1. Get one of those exercise balls (you may already have one as a birthing ball). 2. Sit on the ball, facing the wall.  Put baby on your lap, facing away from you. 3. Bounce gently while offering your baby the bottle.  Bounce gently the entire...
This may be a stupid question, but could he be allergic to something in the formula?  Would the doctor and/or social worker allow your friend to try a different formula?   (I ask b/c I'm adopted and spent the first several weeks of my life projectile vomiting until they found a formula that would work for me, so that was my first thought about the baby's formula.)   Poor guy.  Hope a solution is found soon!
We didn't do BLW, so I'm not much help there, unfortunately, but we did have a bit of a challenge finding DD a sippy cup she liked and could figure out how to use.  With many of the sippy cups, she had a tough time figuring out how to use them and usually ended up chewing on the bottom of them.   We eventually ended up using the Nuby 2 handle straw cup.  We started giving her a sippy cup when she was about 7 months or so to play with, but we only hit on the Nuby cup...
GuildJenn--I think your post is really excellent and thoughtfully articulated!   I started reading this thread last night and have been mulling it over since.  What I've been disheartened to see here is the potentially very interesting question devolve into a bit of myopia.  A discussion of individual parenting styles doesn't really get us to the heart of the issue, because the I think the larger question is: who benefits from the so-called "Mommy Wars"?  Certainly moms...
We do!  I actually used my phone to record her doing this the other night at the ceiling fan across the alley from our apartment and sent it to my sister.  She said she couldn't stop laughing.   I can't wait to break this video out when she brings her first boy/girl friend over.  Ha! 
Haven't been around much lately b/c of the recent MDC issues...but thought I'd check in with our DDC babies.   So much happening with all our little ones...it's so much fun to read!  Kelly--I can't believe those pics of Ozzy--he looks like a little boy now!  And Amanda and Maeryn--I can't believe your LOs can stand all on their own.  Crazy!   Ellie is going to be 10 months on Monday...I literally can't believe it.  She has been so much more fun in the past few...
  Thanks for the explanation!     I think all of these are a fabulous ideas!     That's great!  I'm looking forward to seeing what's next!