or Connect

Posts by Laurski

I haven't read all the replies, but I thought I'd answer b/c 1.5 months ago I never, ever thought I'd be able to join such a thread!  DD was an absolutely miserable sleeper the 1st 6 months of her life.  She refused to sleep anywhere but on me or DH (starting day 1 in the hospital), never slept more than 2 hours (up anywhere from every 45min-2 hours), barely napped, and basically had me at the end of my rope.  I actually did join the sleep boot camp thread, but was too...
    Awww...your DCs sound so sweet!  What a lucky baby to have such great older siblings.   Unfortunately, we only have a dog, so he's not quite as able to help her work through her frustrations (although he is an excellent source of distraction for her...if she's in the midst of gearing up for a frustration meltdown and she sees him, she's all sunshine and giggles.  I keep telling DH  that we just need to teach her how to play fetch with the dog and all of our parenting...
Thanks for your replies, everybody!  Good to know we're not alone in struggling through this stage...and *great* to know that it *will* pass...eventually!   And thanks for letting me know that distraction is the way to go.  That's pretty much what I've been doing, but I didn't know if there was something else I should be doing...   (And Cecilia's Mama--you're so right about them thinking so much more than they can physically do.  Sometimes it's simultaneously...
First, congratulations on raising a spectacular son!  I'm so impressed with his willingness to be accountable for his actions and to take responsibility for remedying the fallout (no pun intended...).  The world would be a much better place if there were more people like him in the world.   Second, congrats to your son for the wonderful honors you mentioned in your first post.  I appreciated the irony you must have experienced in hearing about both the honors *and*...
So...DD has reached that magical stage (7 months for her...I'd imagine it varies depending on the LO) where what she *wants* to do doesn't yet match up with what she *can* do.  Right now sitting up on her own is a major source of consternation, as is wanting to crawl forward (but instead she just rolls onto her back).   My question is this--how do you mamas handle the tears that sometimes come with the frustration?  I know they're not because she's hungry, or tired,...
    I didn't read all of the other responses, baby's about to wrap up nursing, but I wanted to provide a little perspective on the part I bolded...   While I didn't smoke pot until I was in college, I *did* party and drink in high school.  I also had consensual sex with my then-boyfriend when I was 17.  Absolutely no abuse--verbal, sexual, emotional, or otherwise--in my background...   And as for my performance in school while illegally imbibing, occasionally lying to my...
  Wow...I can't imagine how tough things were for you when you first went back!  I'm glad you were able to find a solution that made things a little easier for you and your family.   I know that I have it pretty good in that I'm working part-time...but it's still tough, you know?  I think maybe if I found an adjunct position or something with more consolidated and finite hours I'd be happier...although I'd miss my students and the collegiality of my current school.   As...
Thank you all so much for your thoughtful and honest replies!  You've all given me some very compelling points to think over...   Twinklefae and Mosaic: your points about the baby stage are interesting ones...although to be totally honest, DD was/is a HN baby, (although things seem to be slowly improving as she becomes more independent) so there were some days during my maternity leave when I couldn't wait to go back to work!    On the surface, my work situation...
Same here!  And both of our last names are long, tough to spell, and country of origin specific; as a result, DD has an 18 letter long hyphenated German-English last name.  It's WWII all over again!     She can always change it if she'd like when she gets older, and I figure it will just help her learn more letters of the alphabet in the meantime...
Thanks for all your replies so far mamas...I'm actually off to work right now, but will read them all more closely when I get home!