or Connect

Posts by CascadiaMama

Ha, granite! I was going to delurk to wave my arm and say we got knocked up on CD90. We joke that Alex came from a cobwebby egg and swimmers that had three or four trips back to the bank's cold storage tanks aftter several false alarms. But yeah, he seems fine
Starling: That sounds almost exactly like our philosophy for food. We successfully took alex to a pretty fancy restaurant this weekend for DP's bday, too. He ate Spanish tapas right alongside us, and flirted with the lady at the next table. Then there are days he takes his strawberries off the plate and sets them aside, and only eats the bananas. And the days he's not hungry at all. Question for you, though - how do you keep the littles at the table? Alex is 18 month old,...
Oh Max.... I'm so sorry...
Darcy - do you have, or could you get ASAP, a speculum? Sounds like cervix observation could give you really useful info for future cycles (which I hope you won't need!). Amazon sells them; it's possible you could get one from your RE. You might want to go nuts and check your cervix every few hours (or before work, after work, before bed) in the runup to O to get a more precise sense of how long post-OPK you ovulate. In my experience, the cervix closes up pretty quickly...
Hmm, planet, that sounds like a tough one. Are you close enough to your mom that you can have a heart to heart in the next few weeks? I think it would be important to convey what a wonderful mom she is/was, and she's a wonderful grandma, but that you're also a mom now - and have certain ways of doing things that she'll need to respect if this is going to work out (and you want it to work out, because you think it's really important for Wylie to have grandma time, and...
Granite - threadcrashing from my lurkdom at Q&P. I had crazy long and erratic cycles when we were TTC. Then I found my midwife, and vitex worked really well for me. So well, in fact, that I ovulated about 10 days after I started taking it - on what was like day 90 of my cycle. We had said weren't going to insem until the following cycle, thinking whatever egg I was producing would be far too cobwebby and wouldn't work. But my ovulation signs were too strong to ignore. And...
We did a lot of "ouch, that hurts mama's ears" spoken softly while making the sign for hurt and pointing to my ear. And "you can use a gentle voice." At 17 months he still tries out his screeches occasionally. But it's gotten so much better from the 9-10 month loud streak. Also, our little guy didn't make signs back until about a year old--which isn't unusually. Keep it up, and one day he'll sign back!
Soto--I've heard that Alma midwifery sells them locally. Not sure if you need to officially be a patient.
Another vote for PDX. Also check out Minneapolis-St Paul. A little more centrally located, but very family and gay friendly. That's my hometown, PDX is our chosen home.
Planet, I'm now remembering the phase where Alex would wake to nurse at about 4 am, and would only fall back asleep on my chest. I also hated the way I had to hold my arms up, but I stayed in bed (I'd read too many warning against couch sleeping with a babe, thiugh we certainly had our share of well-propped up naps there). I stuffed pillows under each arm to keep my arms at chest level. I probably looked like I was a vampire sleeping in a well-padded coffin, but it was...