or Connect

Posts by Turtlecouple

I was exactly like this as a child. I was incredibly shy and would hide behind my parents when spoken to by someone I was unfamiliar with. My 3rd grade teacher made me sit in the corner during class one day because she was sick of me not participating in class discussions. I started bawling about 5 minutes in the corner and she felt awful! But the fact is, you can't force a shy kid to talk, you can only create an environment that they will feel safe in.   Fast...
It's on CNN.com now too!
We have at LEAST 2 birthdays each month except Sept and Dec. This is just for family and very close friends. I'm not even counting the parties my kids are invited to by classmate and teammates. We don't spend alot per person (about $20), but I find it frustrating as we're trying to pay off debt/save money for a house to have to buy gifts. In April we have 5 birthdays...that's about $100. I could really use that $100 on other things. It's a must in my husbands family to...
DS1 is 7 years old and he gets $7 a week. 50 cents goes into savings, and another 50 cents goes into donation fund. Every March (his birthday) he take the money in the donation fund and finds a charity he'd like to donate to. So really his "take home" is $6.    We don't tie allowance to chores either. We don't buy him any toys (except bdays and christmas, etc). He has to save up to buy video games, toys etc. I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised at how well he...
I've been told I "clean up well" when I'm dressed up. My husbands previous boss told me one time when I ran into him "wow, you're looking better." what?! better than what?   My husband always gets comments on his grey hair. He ran into someone from high school and they said "you have alot of grey hair. Did you have a rough life?" 
I totally get where you're coming from. We went through this when my oldest was born. He was also the first grandchild. My parents used to watch him about 4 times a week and there always was a new toy. It's a hard situation because it's coming from a place of love. But I felt it was just too much. I don't mind the occasional toy, but every time they saw him was excessive in my opinion. One day something clicked with my mom...i think it was seeing him have all these toys...
Last year for DS's K teacher, we did a gift certificate to a spa from the whole class. She really enjoyed that. This year, DS has a male teacher which makes it a little more tricky for me to come up with something...for Christmas we gave a gift card to Borders. I figured if he could choose if he wanted to use it for books for the classroom or for himself. 
So this morning at school, DS (1st grade) was waiting in line for school to start. He was goofing off with 3 other boys in his class and I wasn't really paying attention to what they were doing, I was chatting with another parent. Then I hear one of the boys say "when I say gay, then you guys jump, and when I say gay 2 times you guys spin around and when I say it 3 times, you guys bend down and touch the ground". I'm not sure what to think or do about it. He wasn't using...
I think what you did was fine! Since this was his first big project, he needs someone to help "guide" him along. It's hard to do something when you have zero experience! And it sounds like he did the majority of it himself! It sounds like you just help him fine tune it.   My 1st grader recently had a voluntary assignment for Presidents Day to do a presentation to the class. He had to choose a president and have some sort of visual aid. The whole time, I was wondering...
When my father was giving the toast, he kept saying "Niki and Kevin"...Kevin is my brother! He must of said it 3 or 4 times. Most of the guest (family and close family friends) knew who Kevin was, but we had lots of people who had no idea who that was. I just remember looking around and seeing lots of confused faces!