or Connect

Posts by lyra2007

Well, I go back and forth...I will say I have two daughters (one bio, one step).  When she was younger, DSD would correct people who called me her mom--"She's my stepmother."  That was when she was 3 or 4.  Since then I think she has a clearer understanding of what a family is, and she doesn't mind when I call her my daughter.  People who know us, of course, know she's my husband's daughter.  Usually, I just call them "my girls."  They both seem to like that, and it...
Yes, you can restrict travel.  The parent taking the child must have a signed note from the parent who is not travelling.  This is true whether you are married or divorced. Kimberley
I think it somewhat depends on the child's age. Certainly before kindergarten, being away from you for 6 or more weeks is too much.  My DSD is 10 and just spent her first 6 straight weeks with us--we moved up gradually from 3 two-week visits at 6 and 7, 2 three week visits at 8 an 9 and now the six weeks. She did fine, but I don't think she would have at 6. And definitely not at 2 or 3--even 2 weeks would not have worked for her then. Sorry that wasn't helpful.  I...
He is going to be sick quite a bit at first.  But it's really now or later (when he starts pre-school or kindergarten).  I was so sad that my baby was sick all the time (and I got sick with her quite a bit), but I now think it was easier to get it over with when she was so small.  She is 32 months now and hasn't been sick (except for a 24-hour stomach bug) in almost a year.  At our daycare, they can go with colds and runny noses, but not if they're vomited, had a fever...
My daughter has just moved into underpants. I am concerned she is going to have an accident in her carseat (the recaro--PITA to remove/wash the cover). I know you're not supposed to put after-market things in a carseat in general, but I would like your thoughts on the safety of these pads. I can certainly get her into a pullup (well, we don't have any but I could buy some, I guess) or diaper for a long drive, it's the around-town ones that worry me. Thanks in...
Why does my 2.5 year old know these characters? She has never watched them at home. They don't watch them at daycare. Are other little kids so obsessed with them that they talk about them all the time? Last night she said she wanted to watch a movie (which we almost never do, so that in itself was weird) and she wanted it to be "Spiderman." Which we don't have. I am sure she got this from school, but are other people really letting their 2 year olds watch...
If you're relaxed, I'm comatose. I mean, it'll happen, right? No one goes to kindergarten in diapers. That's what I tell myself anyway.
My daughter was like that, too, from about 15-18 months, then she became more herself. I think she was just overwhelmed. I felt really bad but she never seemed unhappy, never indicated that she didn't want to go to daycare (other than normal separation crying). It was just weird. That's probably not helpful. I guess just see if it stops in a few weeks?
Lazy again...2 1/2 and still in her high chair. Never even occurred to me! She's been using a booster in restaurants for about 3 months. Guess she's getting a booster for Christmas
We have never missed a visit. And we won't (of course, that's easier now that the visits are annual.) At my daughter's 2-year check-up, her doctor detected a heart murmur. She referred us to a cardiologist, who determined it was an innocent murmur she would outgrow. While we were lucky there, parents can seldom detect things like murmurs on their own. I mean, we had no idea at all! And yes, she does remember us...maybe she just checks the file on the door before...