or Connect

Posts by elliottsmommy

I would like to donate my Medela Pump in Style breastpump to a mother who could use it. If anyone is interested, I am willing to ship it anywhere in the continental USA. I purchased it in 2008 and used it for 18 months. It has taken me awhile to donate it because breastfeeding was something I really loved doing, and still miss doing even though my son is nearly 5 years old now. We are not planning to have more children, so I would like to pass along the pump to another...
Hello! I'm a full-time working mom looking for a playgroup near Easton, MD for my 2.5-year-old son. We haven't had any luck with playgroups because most of the ones I've found schedule their playdates during the day on weekdays. Anyone out there looking for a group that meets on weekends? Please let me know!
My son is almost 20 months old and we have never had any problems. Right after he was born, I felt so intensely that we were doing the right thing by keeping him intact, though all of our families and friends traditionally circ their sons. I still remember that first big nasty poo he had, where it went squishing all up the front of his diaper, and how relieved I was that his foreskin was there to protect him from all the funk. That moment reaffirmed for me that it...
My best find was access to a private school's playground! I posted that I was giving away a bunch of baby items that my 19-month-old son no longer needed. The response was overwhelming, but there was one woman whose email was so friendly and warm, I couldn't help but choose her. When she came over to pick up the stuff, she was just as friendly as she seemed online, and told us she was a teacher at the private school across the street from us. She gave us permission to use...
Our Ped does this, too, and I am absolutely confused about it. He does it very quickly, just for a mere second, and doesn't pull back far at all. My son doesn't even flinch, and there is never any sign of trauma. The visits are always so hectic and the Ped is talking about other things while he does the exam, so I've never been able to interject to say, "What's the point of that?" I'll have to find a way to pop it in there, though, because I find it so peculiar! Wish I...
Just posting an update....Today is day 10 of the "strike," which I believe is officially a termination. Yesterday my son fell and smashed his finger under one of his heavier toys. It bled, and started bruising right away. He was crying and holding his hand. I scooped him up and offered to nurse, since he always found it so comforting whenever he hurt himself, but he still refused. With tears sitting on his cheeks and in obvious pain, he still pursed his lips and turned his...
I've read about that technique, but I'm terrified to try it! If I remove him from his crib to nurse, and this wakes him up, it will be so difficult to get him back to sleep again. (He actually woke up at 1am last night due to our dogs barking, and I couldn't get him back to sleep for over an hour. He used to nurse to sleep so effortlessly.) I keep hoping I can try the sleep technique by catching him one morning before he has woken up. Crossing my fingers that that...
We were having so much trouble getting my son to sleep well until we did a complete overhaul of his nursery. He has always been such a sensitive sleeper! Around the time he turned 14 months, we bought some black-out drapes for his window that completely blocked every bit of street light at night, and quite a lot of sunshine during his naps. We also bought a Marpac SleepMate white noise machine, which was just loud enough to block out the sounds of chatter on the street and...
Thank you for the kind thoughts! We're on Day 5 of the strike. I was finally able to get my son to drink a few ounces of pumped milk from a sippie cup, but only if I mixed in some whole milk and Ovaltine. Argh... Still pumping and hoping....
Hello: My 18-month-old son abruptly stopped nursing two days ago, and I'm not sure what to think about it. His lower left canine is breaking the surface of his gum, so he has been in a lot of pain and pretty grumpy for the past week. He was still nursing normally until two days ago. The last time I offered to him, he covered the nipple with his mouth, but then pulled off sharply before even attempting to latch. He has done this same thing each time I have offered, until...