or Connect

Posts by whatsnextmom

You might consider Tic Tac Chess. My kids liked chess and this game and it might be more accessible to friends who have not been exposed to chess as of yet. I used it with a strategy game club I used to run and it was popular with the 7-year-olds. http://www.educationallearninggames.com/how-to-play-tic-tac-check-game-rules.asp    I agree that the giant chessboard would be a struggle. Not only would there not be enough kids to cover the board but many would spend a large...
No, you aren't crazy. I have two gifted kids and we've experienced all sorts of gifted programming and accommodation including grade skips, subject acceleration, differentiated curriculum, gifted pull-outs, clusters, full gifted classes and a highly gifted track. It pretty much comes down to this...DD does really well with personalized accommodation and DS does really well with gifted programming. For DD, learning is a personal journey, teachers are facilitators and peers...
There have been a couple group co-ed sleep-overs with my eldest in the teen years with the theatre friends she has grown up with and families we knew very well. We let her boyfriend go camping with us (he in his own tent) and spend the night on New Years Eve (sleeping bags on the living room floor next to 13-year-old brother and his buddy.) We'll be putting him up in the guest room on prom night. My youngest used to have a female friend that would stay with us (her family...
4th grade is a heavy writing year in our area largely because state testing included a special writing exam in 4th and 7th grades. That said, research papers started in 3rd grade and paragraph writing was typical in 2nd grade. 4th grade is when teachers start to expect stronger grammar and spelling. There really is a wide range of normal though. I was a paid classroom aide for a year in our district and I remember being surprised in the range of writing ability but the...
I don't think the stretching is going to change her genetics and make her taller or smaller than she would be naturally. However, I've heard women who've gained an inch as adults through pilates. They aren't "growing" but they are improving posture and increasing space in their spine.
 Really? You've NEVER seen a kid be lazy at learning? Perhaps it's your background. I've worked with special needs kids but I've also spent a lot of time working with average and intellectually gifted kids. Kids that are being offered a good education with involved and engaged teachers and yet STILL can be lazy. We can ALL be lazy when it comes to doing something we aren't too into. My own kids have been lazy at times choosing to sit on an ipod instead of doing a project...
 I don't know about this anymore. I used to be really concerned about political correctness but now I feel like we are doing our kids and ourselves a huge disservice by not being truly honest. Entitlement is a huge issue these days. It's hurting these kids to move into the work place having never taken any real criticism or being told there is an exterior excuse for every problem they've ever had. My poor DH has to hire and work with 20 somethings that fly into a range...
 It's not a diplomatic thing to say but this is middle school. There are a lot of great kids who indeed get "lazy" during those years. I can't tell you how many times my kids have come home frustrated because they had to do relay races in PE and their teammates just wouldn't run... yes, totally capable but didn't feel like it, didn't care and thought they were really cool sauntering around the track while others were huffing and puffing. It'a an age where "not caring" is...
 Some consequences might actually help the perfectionist and "beating himself up" issues. I know that it "sounds" counter-productive but some kids do better having a price and being able to pay it. Otherwise, they feel like no mistake can ever be fixed. Like there is no redemption. Getting in trouble, having a consequence and fulfilling that consequence can actually help them let go of the mistake. I say this as the parents of two such kids whose issues in this regard...
Oh sure, hormones reek just as much havoc on boys and they do girls. Like girls, puberty can start subtly before the obvious signs pop-up.   My 13-year-old has been really emotional since last spring. There have been some tears though for him, his emotional outbursts have been mostly anger sometimes dissolving into tears. His straight A's have dissolved into a sea of B's and C's. Focus has been an issue and he knows it and it frustrates him. This all started about 12.5....