or Connect

Posts by whatsnextmom

No, it's not wrong of you to buy him things he needs and to be involved at his school. There are some things best left to biological parents in tenser situations but you aren't a random stranger. You are in this child's life long-term and certainly, there are plenty of step-parents in the PTA. For the most part, I'd leave communication with mom up to dad. Listen if he wants to talk but don't probe about mom or grill him about situations your frustrated with her about (Not...
You know, it's hard. Learning disabilities in the gifted child can really look different. Is your son doing a lot of written math? I take it you haven't noticed anything. My own son is mildly dyslexic and not so mildly dysgraphic. In his case, while he compensated well enough to stay at grade level for reading, it was hard work and a major frustration for him until after his 7th birthday. His teacher's noticed that math problems he was solving easily in his head he was...
Hmm, in regards to your older son, you say he was 5 and about 1st grade level when you moved. He's 8 now... even with the addition of a new language, his English reading shouldn't have stalled. I wonder if something else is interfering with his development in this area. Dual language shouldn't cause that much trouble. My son started Spanish Immersion school at age 5 (1st grade.) Kids learned to read in Spanish at school but were encouraged to read in English at home. Kids...
Well, you aren't alone but personally, this isn't a route I took as a parent. For starters, my kids didn't really start "travelling" or being without an adult in metropolitan areas until about 13. I work part-time around the kids schedules. We aren't in walking distance of anything. They get driven and dropped. I was a little nervous when my first started going to movies and such with friends and no adults but that passed and I haven't been nervous about my youngest doing...
You can't say anything. She's doing well in school and not getting in trouble. Mom is comfortable with her child. She could get into some trouble for being out late without an adult though I don't know what the minor curfew hours are in your area. Otherwise, it's all a matter of taste. Most kids who go to more extremes in appearances and music grow out of it. It's less about rebellion and more about connecting with a peer group. 13-15 seem to be the worst. It passes. It...
You might consider Tic Tac Chess. My kids liked chess and this game and it might be more accessible to friends who have not been exposed to chess as of yet. I used it with a strategy game club I used to run and it was popular with the 7-year-olds. http://www.educationallearninggames.com/how-to-play-tic-tac-check-game-rules.asp    I agree that the giant chessboard would be a struggle. Not only would there not be enough kids to cover the board but many would spend a large...
No, you aren't crazy. I have two gifted kids and we've experienced all sorts of gifted programming and accommodation including grade skips, subject acceleration, differentiated curriculum, gifted pull-outs, clusters, full gifted classes and a highly gifted track. It pretty much comes down to this...DD does really well with personalized accommodation and DS does really well with gifted programming. For DD, learning is a personal journey, teachers are facilitators and peers...
There have been a couple group co-ed sleep-overs with my eldest in the teen years with the theatre friends she has grown up with and families we knew very well. We let her boyfriend go camping with us (he in his own tent) and spend the night on New Years Eve (sleeping bags on the living room floor next to 13-year-old brother and his buddy.) We'll be putting him up in the guest room on prom night. My youngest used to have a female friend that would stay with us (her family...
4th grade is a heavy writing year in our area largely because state testing included a special writing exam in 4th and 7th grades. That said, research papers started in 3rd grade and paragraph writing was typical in 2nd grade. 4th grade is when teachers start to expect stronger grammar and spelling. There really is a wide range of normal though. I was a paid classroom aide for a year in our district and I remember being surprised in the range of writing ability but the...
I don't think the stretching is going to change her genetics and make her taller or smaller than she would be naturally. However, I've heard women who've gained an inch as adults through pilates. They aren't "growing" but they are improving posture and increasing space in their spine.