or Connect

Posts by Lobeebee

Thanks for all the advice! I am mulling over and keeping all of this in mind. @eeem you're so right if you're down on kids' level ....they will practically never stop talking to you! :) Haha. :) That's always been my instinct. They see you are relating to them as individuals not just "kids 1-20."   @Elle2 Being older now, the whole "don't take things personally" thing" is so much easier for me than it used to be,and I think you're so right. I worked at a daycare when...
Hi,    I'm here to ask for advice.  I'm getting a job as a preschool assistant soon and I'd love advice on what makes a good classroom teacher?  Basically I would love any advice/pointers offered...what have you seen as parents, makes a good caretaker/teacher, especially in class settings?  Thanks :) 
I think you can, *if* you couple it with other things, and *if* you work hard and steady at it for a very long time. Like a decade or more -- because that way you finally have so much good will toward you and literally 100s of women telling all their friends to hire you. But the thing is -- I think you need solid regular money and a stable environment *yourself* to be a good doula, otherwise, it just won't work long-term. You have to have a stable environment (aka a...
 I should look into a  rebozo for sure. I feel bad not doing the pressure a lot b/c it seems to make such a  diff. for so many of them, however when I think about it and read your suggestions/own ways of handling this  -- I do need to figure out a  way to offer relief without killing my body. I do encourage them to get into other positions but sometimes it's just like yeah right and I'm stuck with "PRESSURE PLEASE!!" with mama in some position that's difficult on me...
These tips are awesome -- I *am* wondering how you accomplish no 6? It seems impossible to me! After almost every birth, afterward I'm all sore. I usually end up in all kind of funky positions. What about when they are in the tub, especially? (and need hip squeezes?) Or on all 4s?  If they are laboring instinctively I find they get in funky positions?   The best I hope for usually is the woman has a willing and strong partner to help me with the back labor/support.
Try to find out who the veteran doulas in your area are and from there see if they would mind you going to a  birth or two with them. :) If you hit it off it may turn into a full on mentorship.  Or maybe if that doesn't work out, start a doula group yourself? :)   "If you build it they will come!" :)      Re the CNM-- If you state your dilemna to your CNM, and also your desire to attend births as an assistant,  you won't even be asking her, but letting her...
 I try not to beat myself up for getting tired. The laboring mom has an energy and adrenaline no one else in the room has.  I relate to your frustration though.  I had a recent doula experience where I was so tired during a very long labor -- the mom was hitting a wall. I was being more of a watchful, vigilant doula and pretty hands off and super quiet and just watchful as this is what she wanted. But in a way I find this type labor support really exhausting in its own...
I have a website but it doesn't get many hits. I am switching soon to a free blog. My clients I have, I have gotten through refs, and one was a woman who came to our local doula meeting and then asked would I be her doula. Seeing if you can advertise thru your yoga instructor sounds like a good idea. You can do doulamatch.com and findadoula.com for free I *think*? Health food stores usually have free for all bulletin boards. I don't know how that'd go but I'm thinking...
**Everything** Spring Lily said. This may be the only thing can be done at this time for this child, but it should be done.   What kind of man would make mention/notice or make a point of saying he is now putting his hands "under the shirt" on a 7 year old. Very disturbing. Blah. Please do follow your gut on this.                 
reaching out can mean alot to a person in grief.