or Connect

Posts by sara_j

We had a great experience at our hospital. First, we were fortunate to find a practice with docs that supported our desire for a natural birth. Second, we had a clear birth plan and on top of that, the hospital has a "Birth Day Wishes" program where you go in ahead of time and answer questions about your preferences. Thirdly, we had a doula. Beyond that, we had great nurses who just checked in on us and every now and then and respected our desire for space unless we...
Hi Jill. You're welcome! I just found out yesterday that they did "excuse" me, but only after I provided a doctors note. I'm lucky that the jury commissioner did excuse me because the law doesn't say she has to. I don't know for sure if I'll get called again right after my son turns one, or if it will be longer. If it's right after he turns one, I'll probably just go instead of asking for another postponement, but make sure they know I'll need to pump. I figure at one year...
I called the pediatrician this morning, and I guess they get this request fairly often. They have a letter already written and ready to go. Once I actually read it, I'll see if there's anything I want to add in my own letter. It's actually kind of funny to me that I have to provide a letter, because the doctor just takes your word for it that you're breastfeeding. I haven't seen the doctor in almost two months, so techinically I could have quit breastfeeding in that time...
This might be a silly question - but do I go to my OB or my son's pediatrician for this letter? I see the pediatrician way more often than my OB now and he knows that I'm breastfeeding.
rparker - Thank you for this and the information above! You definitely weren't over the top. One year is my minimum goal, but I am not opposed to going longer than that. We'll just see what our situation is like around one year. I just figured that by that time, I could probably leave for the day to report for jury duty and pumping wouldn't be as much an issue. I just can't believe my state (Colorado) doesn't have anything in the laws to exempt breastfeeding mothers. I...
Well, I asked for a postponement until after the end of January 2011 so that my son will be over a year old. They told me I could have another six months and I have to provide a doctor's note. Should I accept this as fair, or push to be able to wait until after I completely done nursing? My fear is that even if they tell me I'll be able to pump every 3 or 4 hours, when it comes down to it I won't be able to and even if I am given the chance to pump, I'm not sure how to...
Thanks everyone! I'm in Colorado, so the law doesn't say they have to let me off the hook. I requested a postponement yesterday. We'll see what they say...
I'm using Dr. Brown's bottles, but I just pump into the bottles that came with my pump and pour it into the Dr. Brown bottle. I like the bottle enough that the extra step is worth it.
Oh, and as for bottles, I use Dr. Brown's natural flow glass bottles.
I introduced a bottle around 3 weeks. I know this is sooner than most places say you can, but we didn't have any trouble with nipple confusion. He does use a pacifier, so I don't know if that made a difference or not. I also didn't give him the first bottle, my mother did. Supposedly having someone besides yourself do that will help the process go smoother. Like you, I only use the bottle occasionally. I would recommend that once he's got the hang of it, you try to make...