or Connect

Posts by tommynomad

Our son is 28 months.  Next one is due to arrive in 6 months.   About a month ago we implemented a more structured evening routine, and it seems to have helped to some degree:   Bath 2 Boardgames (we have a large collection, and he can play with up to 2 of his choice for ~30 mins) 2 books / stories 10-20 mins video (during which his teeth are flossed/brushed) Bedtime (this is usually 8-8:30 p.m.)   At bedtime, we used to have a lot of problems with...
((skybluepink02)) Unfathomable. Let family be your solace and your source of strength.
Nope. But then, it's winter here. We're in the process of purging our bad food habits, but not with promises/resolutions. We try not to buy stuff that's not good for us, and substitute as much as possible to accomodate our weaknesses. For example: coffee -> inka (tastes better anyway, none of the nasty caffeine buzziness) chocolate -> cocoa ice cream -> frozen yogurt (in shakes, so we don't notice) cheese -> older, drier cheeses so using less generates more...
This is of great interest to us, too. We're in Aotearoa New Zealand, but will be moving to South Korea before our Puck is 1yo. TB is the most notably rampant infectious disease there, but it's not the only one. We became firmly anti-vax recently (after finally doing our homework), but it seems--like research in so many fields--most of the info is rooted in North-Western white culture. For now we're holding to our ideals, but stepping into a petri dish (I love it...
As a curious bystander eager to learn more: 1. Since we all end up reading and writing anyway, why the stress about how? 2. Alphabet & basic arithmetic at 3yo is gifted? Isn't that pretty much when it hits for every kid? The two year old who lives next door knows that if I have 3 cookies, and I give her one & eat one myself, there's one left over somewhere. Your instincts--keep it informal and geared toward your child's interests--sound a lot more sensible to me...
I say go for it. If you like the daycare for other reasons, then even better. People get all worked up about 'slow development.' But by the time we're in JH, we're all pretty much on the same level. Introducing a 3rd language may very well confuse a daycare-aged child for a week or two. They might even speak a mishmash of multiple languages until they're about 7 or 8 years old, but more likely they'll simply figure out that each context has a different tongue. So...
I'm a year away from my Phd, in education. You couldn't pay me to lollygag* around all day in a cap and gown. Mail me my diploma, please! *ordinarily I'm a big fan of lollygagging; it's the getup I eschew
Consider it your cue to teach your child the word "ignoramus." And I'm betting the offending teacher won't know what it means.
Quote: Originally Posted by Claire and Boys edited to add... I like this blog post on the topic: http://www.adriancolesberry.com/life/?p=554 Thanks for the awesome link, Claire!
As a cut intactivist man, I can assure you that being cut or not has very little to do with the pleasure of one's sex life. I feel strongly that this is one of the worst arguments for intactivism, for two reasons: 1. Only very few people can possibly know the difference between cut sex and uncut sex. 2. It continues to forground the penis as the primary sex organ, which is both wrong and the root of so many social ills I can't even begin to list them.