or Connect

Posts by Mommel

We don't do gifts, but we definitely do Christmas... lots of music, activities, and homemade decorations... and a polar express ride this year on the local scenic rail line!! We also do a tiny bit of shopping for charitable causes, and we volunteer at various events. We also have a new special holiday tradition, that I hope we'll carry from year to year. I've started already... writing letters with sentiments of encouragement and support to strangers and leaving them in...
Time to renew the gift thread, ladies!   Last year I gave almost nothing, got tons of crap... and guess what? The only thing I still have is the zoo membership (thank you, sister). Amazing... and I told my mother at least six times this year already that I didn't want anything this year only to have her tell me the last time that she'd already bought me some bath stuff (see original post). I was silent for a few moments before I finally just told her to give them to...
Sorry to jump in here, but I wanted to offer my minimizing method. I always start with a list. When I write the list, I imagine... not what I want to get rid of, but what I'd like to have if I started out with nothing at all. Once I've made my list, it's really easy to discard anything that's not on it, even if it means I have to buy something new. As an example, I had "one black cardigan" on my list, but all the black cardigans that I had in my closet weren't what I...
Agreed... boundaries are in order. Set them and stick to them and things will change for you and your kiddos, even if he doesn't. It works for parenting teenagers too from what I hear. 
I agree with PPs... there's a difference between solo and single, but one isn't harder than the other. I parent solo and it's better in some ways, harder in others. I will say that when I'm feeling resentful of single moms who complain about their lives it's only because I'm not loving my own situation... maybe tell her how much you envy certain aspects of her situation (i.e. not having to negotiate, etc.), offer to help her out by buying the coffee once in a while, or...
  I love how you say that as if choosing not to date is a uniquely fascinating and unusual phenomenon... which is exactly how it feels (and probably how it is to some extent). I often feel like I don't fit in with my married friends because they're always talking about their husbands, but I feel like I fit less with my single friends who are dating. I have way more important things to do than date right now too. I can't even imagine where I'd find the spare time, but I...
I guess I should clarify and reiterate that by choosing not to date, I also meant choosing celibacy.   ETA: I think that the PPs hitachi comment might be better suited in the forum that deals with that subject. A little TMI for my tastes, even in an online setting... hey, call me frigid, but whatever.  The initial post on this thread was my attempt to create a place for mamas who were tired of all the sex and dating talk on the other threads on this part of the forum.
I got lucky... my college has a teaching pre-school/daycare, and I got a state grant that covers almost all of my subsidized (50% off) rate... the rest I scrimp and save for, and by the end of the term I sometimes end up selling stuff on craigslist to make the payments and/or rent. Summers are the worst because I don't get school funding, but I also don't have to pay for daycare then either. Bottom line: it ain't easy, but I make it work... and I remind myself that it...
Hi... I agree with the PPs on this. One day is not enough time to adjust for such a little one. My kiddo also still sleeps at the breast, and I put him in DC a month ago now. It's a Reggio school with a low ratio, and they are very loving and sweet with him and his adjustment. They often lay down next to him, or sometimes they take him for a stroller ride to help him fall asleep. Honestly though, he doesn't nap a lot on their watch, but that just means he goes to bed...
I pay the full monthly rate for my kiddo's care despite any holidays or school closures. Basically, since the childcare is associated with my college, they're closed whenever the college is closed, which is spring break (1 week), winter break (3 weeks, yes three...), and 2 weeks over summer. And the rate is the same every month. But I LOVE my kid's providers. I mean... LOVE them, so the way I see it is that I'm getting a deal that my kid's caregivers take such amazing...