or Connect

Posts by AE+Mama

My daughter is allergic to dairy among many other things.   For "quesadillas" we make a homemade bean dip, spread it on the tortillas and grill like we normally do.  The bean dip is just garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed), olive oil, salt, cumin, garlic powder and water blended together.   She absolutely loves it.   If your daughter likes hummus, you can skip making your own bean dip and just spread hummus on a tortilla to make quesadillas   When we do pizza night,...
Yes, we often think of phonics as how kids learn to read, but the visual information of the word is only one of three sources that helps us figure out unknown words.  The meaning of the story and the structure of the sentence are the other two sources of information and the two that good readers and adults use most automatically then checking our response with the visual information of the phonics.   If you were reading the sentence:   "The rabbit is hiding in the tall...
Does your local libary have Rigby PM Readers?  Ours does and it is a great resource.  The books are leveled and are not phonics readers, so they have more of a story line and are more engaging for children.   Phonics is a very important component of reading, but not the only component.  One of the most important strategies for a new reader when they come to a word they don't know is to say the first sound, go back and read the sentence again and think about what would...
I second the idea of making books together, if your children are interested   Use photographs, your children's drawings, etc.   It can be about experiences you've had as a family, fascinating facts learned, dreams for the future, etc.   Have your children dictate the stories while you model saying the words slowly and writing the sounds.   Link the sounds to known words (i.e., "M-e-x-i-c-o, that starts just like 'mom' with a letter m, M-e-x-i-c-o, I hear 'ex' like the...
I completed steps one and two.   This would be perfect for my 9 month old! 
I like Bella Luna Toys. What a great resource! Thanks for the opportunity.
Love the updates on Facebook!
      I am looking for some meatless meal ideas, recipes, cookbooks etc. that are dairy, soy, egg, peanut, and tree nut free. We do eat meat, but I would like to reduce the amount of meat we eat. We tend to eat whole foods so we wouldn't want pre-made meat substitutes (most are soy anyway). My daughters are picky and prefer beans to be mashed or pureed (they like refried...
I'm glad that giving her choices seems to be helping a bit.   I have sticky notes around the house to remind myself to breathe, stay positive and give choices.   Hopefully I can get this to be more of a habit before I start saying no or giving orders.     You mentioned that she doesn't want to be put down -- do you wear her in a wrap or other carrier.   I know that before I got pregnant with baby #3, the days I wore my toddler in the wrap or mei tai on my back were...
A food diary definitely helped me figure out my older DD's allergies.   Some things to consider:   * Often babies who can't tolerate dairy also have trouble with soy.  Tomatoes and other highly acidic foods like citrus fruits can also cause problems.    * Is milk supply an issue?  Some babies get overwhelmed by a too fast let down.  Other babies get frustrated when the supply is too low and there is not enough milk coming out.     *Is there some place where...