or Connect

Posts by squidink

If you're looking for something specifically for pizza, I love using super-caramelized onions in place of cheese/cheez.  I think packaged fake cheez is totally gross and much of it isn't vegan, if that's a consideration for you.     Here's how I like to do onions:  Heat some olive oil over low heat, maybe 1-2 tablespoons Slice 3-5 pounds of your favorite kind of onion as thin as possible (a v-slicer or mandoline works great for this.)  It seems like a ton of...
I believe that true veganism is more of an aspiration than a possible lifestyle.  While we can choose not to eat animal products, animal by-products are used in the production and/or transportation of nearly every product we consume.     Even if you eat nothing but organic, locally grown vegetables you are most likely using animal by-products to do so.  Nearly all organic farmers use fertilizers of animal origin (blood meal, bone meal, fish meal, etc) to grow their...
I haven't been on the forum for a while so I have a few doozies. - some jerk customer came into the co-op I volunteer at said "oh my god! you're so fat!"  I almost flipped out on him.  I have a big, obviously pregnant (not fat) belly & thin limbs.  WTH? - On facebook I asked for suggestions for pretty, cathartic music to put on my labor playlist, and some jerk suggested 'push it,' by salt n pepa.  I said "the award for the most obvious pun goes to you *name...
I've got all y'all beat.  I'm 21 weeks and I've gained 26 (!) pounds.  I'm 5'11" and only weighed 140 before I got pregnant, so I'm actually still within a healthy weight range for my height.  It's super weird having a butt and hips, but somehow size 4 maternity jeans fit.  I think it's got to be vanity sizing.
I'm a yoga instructor and I feel like my practice has done very little for my round ligament pain, but I don't know what it would have been like had I not had an established practice before my pregnancy.  I guess it could have been much more severe without it.    I don't believe that any yoga asanas can really get to the round ligaments since they are fairly deep within the body and their sole anatomical function is to support the uterus.  The round ligaments...
Thanks for the support everyone!  Here's my update:   I got a great full-time job last week & will be working probably until Christmas.  My boss is very supportive of me taking an extended maternity leave and coming back very part-time afterward so I'll only have to work at times when my husband will be home to care for our baby.     We decided to go with the home birth option because it feels the most right for us.  I think it is an expenditure that I won't...
I've been slack about posting, but still walking tons:   7/9-60 minute walk 7/12-60 min walk 7/13-60 min walk 7/14- 60 min walk           90 min yoga class 7/15-60 min walk 7/16- 90 min walk 7/17-60 min walk     780/1000
I'm in the HB club too & I'm really excited about it.
This morning we decided on a girl's name! We haven't decided on the spelling though.  It's a Nordic first name and if we use the traditional spelling, it might be confusing for Americans to pronounce.  I imagine it's a PITA to go through life correcting people on how your name is spelled and pronounced, so even though we'd like to acknowledge our Nordic heritage, we're considering a more Anglicized spelling.     Also, I had my 14 week appt with the hospital midwives....
I didn't even think of H&M!  I used to shop at one all the time when I lived near one.  Thanks kismet.  The nearest one is like an hour and a half away, but if I get desperate enough I might just have to take drive & hit old navy, gap & H&M.  In other news, last night an acquaintance offered me her belly bands from her last pregnancy, so I can probably wear my pre-pregnancy jeans for another month.