or Connect

Posts by GatorNNP

I guess the risk some people are concerned about is the way blood is collected, or the consequence of knowing about a metabolic disorder, such as needing a special diet etc.    Most of the tests on the newborn screen can be accomplished without actually digesting or metabolizing, so you theoretically could send the screen on cord blood. Some would not be picked up. There are other ways to collect the blood, such as a venous draw that would not cause as much...
I am going to suggest you call and ask an OB to call you back to give advise. I am sure you can negotiate costs if you are paying cash. Glucose is a significant teratogen and be very damaging in early pregnancy. It is probably more important in early pregnancy than late. Hope you can get somewhere.
How is the temperament of your child? My son refused bottles of all kinds from 1 week old to 7 months old. I worked 10, 16, or 24 hr shifts, oh so fun! He would go half the day and the sitter I arranged for the first month would tote him up for a feed and he would tank up! Of course by time I got home he was hungry, he was 5 months old when he waited 1/2 the day. months 3/4 family would bring him to my work. I truly believe he would not accept milk from anything. Of...
It is very hard physically. It will get worse before getting better too because you will be more tired as the rest of the first year continues. I am working full time with 3 and tandem nursed between each and the youngest is finally at a year old. Around one year things get easier, or at least, potentially easier. The child may start taking food and lessen the breastmilk demand. I opted to night wean each of mine shortly after a year due to the impact of extreme exhaustion...
I am due in Jan. Really thought I wanted this baby out before new-year, then my daughter got pinworms and our friends have the flu and the whole town has a cold. I think I will keep her in for an extra month until there are less cooties around here!
HMF is given, not just for calories, but for additional minerals, and protein, that human milk does not deliver in quantities similar to a placenta. One company makes a milk fortifier from human milk, Prolacta. The milk is processed and water removed to make a concentrated amount of liquid to add to normal expressed milk. It is only dispensed to NICU's though. We know that infants do have better growth and mineralization on the fortified milk, but we don't know if...
The NICU will use a scoring system while they determine how much withdrawal the baby is going through. It really depends on how much the mom was taking and the babies response, not all withdraw in the same way to the same amount. Examples of symptoms are low grade fever, high tone, disorganized sucking and swallowing, sneezing, yawning, frantic sucking, difficulty with state transition (awake to asleep, etc) sleeping for short periods say only an hour after feeding and...
Hospitals provide paper diapers while the infant is a patient. Babies going through withdrawal tend to very quickly develop diaper rash due to frequent stooling, and for some reason the stool is more tough on their skin. They also over-eat compared to non withdrawing babies. So, unless you have a ton of cloth handy, you might prefer to just go with the paper ones. I would invest in a gentle baby soap and your favorite diaper cream that is nice and pasty, maybe a zinc oxide...
I think you were on the right track, however, the vit K is I think more painful than some of the other things. I have done plenty of heel sticks while babies are nursing. I think though that doing too many interventions while a new baby is nursing, can lead to negative associations with nursing. Working in an NICU, very quickly babies learn the sound of a gauze wrapper being torn (just prior to a lab draw) or the smell of alcohol or cleanser will lead to pain. For...
I pumped at work until about 11 months, unless I was gone more than 12 hrs. My babies would both take bottles until around 13 or 14 months at night time if I was gone. After a while they didn't want expressed milk anymore, and my youngest would get a night time bottle of soy or cow milk if I was away at bed or night time for a while after that. They nursed till 3 1/2 and 2 1/2 years.