or Connect

Posts by Rainey Daye

Out with the recycling: 3 boxes of paper trash and newspapers   Grabbed as I head out the door for Goodwill: 40 more random items--toys and stuff from the office decluttering   New total: 110/2012
I don't count things till they are OUT of my house, but if they are in my car then they don't get to come back in...so they are counted if they have at least made it to the car or the curb!!   My start: 10 children's books 40 toys 15 items to a crisis pregnancy center 2 items to a pet rescue group   Total so far: 67/2012!!
Totally understand about the master bedroom being the catch-all. We actually have two areas that are private in our house and the office is our secret shame that is usually closed off from the main areas. I TRY to keep our room looking nice the majority of the time since we have such a lovely view of the lake behind our house and one of our bedroom windows is directly across from our bedroom doorway so it's nice when I don't have to close it off. But I'd say about half...
I'm pretty sure that the 2011 in 2011 thread was started early too, so why not? I was JUST telling DH last night that I kind of feel in no-man's-land this week...cause I'll never make the 2011 challenge and it's not 2012 yet. It'd be so much easier to go ahead and start counting!!   Hey, and having the year go from Christmas to Christmas means we get to count all the after-Christmas junk getting tossed and it gives everyone the goal to be done with their challenge by...
As I sit here lining out all the various projects and challenges I am planning for the next year I decided to go ahead and start the new thread for this next year for those who are gung ho for a major decluttering challenge. I realize it's a few days early, but now I can have a link to refer back to from my main projects/challenges list!!   So, here we go!! I had to give up on this year's challenge cause of all kinds of stuff, but I totally am planning on making the...
There are plenty of pictures on Pinterest and around the web of inspiring minimalist spaces, but how does that work in real life with small children possibly in the picture?    I think a much better source of inspiration is to actually see the spaces that we ourselves live in as we work toward or maintain our minimalism.   So show us your spaces!!
What does your minimum look like? I know this is different for every person, but what does YOURS look like?   How many of each kind of dish, how many pots and pans, how much silverware in your kitchen?    How many sets of sheets, how many towels, how much clothes?   Do you decorate? If so, how much?   Do you go minimal on your tech, or are you like us...replacing stuff with tech...like digital movies instead of dvd's, mp3's instead of cd's, and digital...
Anybody have these? I knew my grandmother who lived through the Depression was a hoarder to the extreme  especially after my grandfather died (we had to talk her out of saving envelopes once because she said "what if I need to make a list or something?"). I also have one aunt who is to this day a hoarder (I will hardly even sit on the edge of the couch in her house and will NEVER eat or sleep there).   But I never realized how much that hoarding tendency ended up...
I was told back in the day that I looked like Alanis (even had freshmen yell "Alanis" at me from across campus at college). I think her face is longer than mine, but I guess I could see the similarities back then.   However, this is me in the here and now at the grand old age of 35...and accompanied by the cutest kidlet I know!!  
I guess what I'll prob end up doing is going ahead and getting the membership for me and wearing the heck out of it the first half of the summer and then when it gets close to Bug's b-day ask if they can do a pro-rated membership for him...they may do it, they may say "eh, don't worry about it since summer's half over anyway", or they may not. If for some reason they won't do a pro-rated membership for him or won't let him go free for the rest of the summer, then we'll...