or Connect

Posts by connieculkins

This is one of the reasons why I am often reticent to reach out for support from women.  They have the tendency to be very judgmental with a touch of sanctimony to go along with it.  I think the truth is that most parents of gifted kids are proud, but their guilty subconscious would never allow them to admit this to themselves or anyone else.  This will cause them to 'jump' on anyone that is too honest and explicit about their giftedness, especially topics having to do...
From what I've noticed all the kids who go to preschool or have been taught at home end up gifted in Kindergarten. Most parents nowadays expose their kids to so many books, learning tools, etc. that they end up appearing gifted early on, but I truly believe that the giftedness can only be proven if the child is in the 99% at third grade and above. I can't tell you how many advanced kindies have proven to be rather average (aka bright) later on and the parents keep...
Quote: Originally Posted by moominmamma Not sure what I'm missing here. Stay-at-home parents who are very involved as supporters of the school make for an unhealthy style of parenting? Clearly we're on different wavelengths. Miranda Yes, there is a point where it goes from healthy interest to unhealthy controlling obsession. There are a good number of mothers like this at the school, but there are also a good number of mothers who have a...
Maybe it is just the area in which I live and maybe you have to experience it to understand, but some of these mothers live at the school. They have no outside job, no younger children and they are at the school all the time finding volunteer activities to do so they can 'communicate' with the teacher. It is an environment which promotes an unhealthy style of parenting and if you don't do it too then you are thought of as being unwilling to communicate with the teacher ...
So I inquired a bit more at the school about how the kids get chosen for differentiation and it's all based on 'parent' recommendation pretty much. So you can call this 'communication' or a 'partnership' or whatever buzzword is currently in vogue, but the fact of the matter is that you have to be pretty pushy to get this extra challenge for your kids. The spots fill up quickly and then the teachers are very reluctant to add kids after that. A few of the moms I know...
I have two well behaved and quiet children who are probably in the moderately gifted range, a first grader and a third grader. We have never pushed them, just sent them to school and they never went to preschool. They are both about two years ahead in their reading levels and much better than that in math, understanding multiplication and negative numbers at the end of kindergarten. They are remarkably similar, both easily making top grades with minimal effort in a...
Quote: Originally Posted by scottishmommy I'm surprised that other mothers don't try and stop this sort of behavior. I always correct my child if she takes a toy etc. One thing I have noticed though, is that dd never just walks up to a kid and pushes them over. She is always provoked. I consider this a different situation altogether. In fact, my second child was once accused of being too bossy with a younger child and this was one of those...
Quote: Originally Posted by wami OP, do you think there is a way to open up a discussion with these moms? Well, the first mom is handling things well IMO and has been trying to rectify this behavior in her daughter for some time. She says her daughter became this way in part because the older kids at her daycare were very tough and she had to learn to defend herself. But instead of becoming strong and assertive she turned into something...
Quote: Originally Posted by scottishmommy Of course there are parents like that! It sounds like your neighbor may be one of them. After writing that reply I think I might have found a good way to bring the subject up during a playdate ( I still haven't decided to avoid them). If her child does something very aggressive and she doesn't respond I'll ask her how she would respond if her child did that to her. I'm sure she'll say she'd punish...
OP here: I would say that my three children (two school age and a toddler) tend to inhibit their aggression outside the home, but among themselves they can get rough, take things without permission, etc. They are far from angels. I'm a busy mom (like most of you I'm sure) and I don't have time to hover, but I certainly don't think it is appropriate to let kids 'handle it themselves' when one of them blatantly does something that's out of line. I don't let them get away...