or Connect

Posts by LauraN

I live in the UAE--remember that country that passed the law where you HAVE to breastfeed for two years? So I was nursing dd (3 mths old) at a cafè and an American woman came up to me to say I should be careful about NIP because they'd put me in jail in this country???!!! Also, a friend of mine said she had only bf one month because nursimg made her so hot that she felt her hot milk would hurt the baby's tummy. And her doctor agreed.
Week 29 here and all is well. Had a change of plans and will not be having my long-wished-for homebirth. Will be birthing in a hospital in Abu Dhabi, which feels like the right decision. I do have to go and get myself registered, though. I'm hearing great things about the hospital I chose, I just want to make sure they won't classify me as high risk because of age (and despite a perfectly healthy pregnancy so far) thus opting me out of midwifery care. I loved that the OB...
No, we are all US citizens, so that's not the problem. After contacting the county and talking to various people in local government, it seems that 3 months is just the way it is. They take their sweet time investigating your home birth and that's that. So we've had to make the very tough decision not to have a home birth. It would mean being away from home for 5 or 6 months and that's kind of the opposite of what a homebirth should be, unfortunately. Under those...
Help! I live out of the country (in Abu Dhabi) where it is illegal for midwives to attend home births. So I decided to travel to my parents' house in Cumming, GA (north of Atlanta).   I was worried about how long the birth certificate might take, as I'd like to get the baby home as quickly as possible. I was figuring on a few weeks to a month including expediting the passport...   Well, my dad called the county to ask and was told that for homebirths the birth...
Mary Harris is hands-down the best homebirth midwife in Miami. http://www.alovingstart.com/
Well, after weighing all the risks and benefits, and realizing how extremely anxious I was about the risk of chromosome issues, DH and I decided to go ahead and do the CVS. It was the most painful experience I've ever been through! I'm in the UAE, and they apparently default to the needle-in-the-abdomen version of the procedure. There is nothing out there on the Internet that could have prepared me for it. Holy moly! I actually screamed when the needle was coming out,...
One of the midwives I interviewed said 32 weeks because she thought it important to have that face to face time to get to know each other. But I'm planningon going at 34 weeks too. I'd rather minimize time away from home since I'm not sure how long it will take to get all the paperwork for the new baby and we could end up being in Atlanta for three months. Lilmamita, what city are you travelling to? And where are you coming from? My family and I live in Abu Dhabi and...
Thanks for asking this question. I'm in the same boat except that I'm interviewing by email because I'm coming to the US just before my birth. It's actually hard to chose without that in-person *feeling* about each one, but then I wasn't sure how to let the other two down once I've chosen!  
Yeah, I posted this article on my FB page and, while in my mind it was geared towards my liberal, pro-public school skeptical friends, it seemed to really get negative responses from my conservative (long-skirted SAHM) friends! I can totally see why, and felt the need to backtrack a little. After re-reading, I realized it was elitist, though since it was in a publication geared towards moms who are doctors, I can see the point. Just not that great for the general public....
Yay, 1jooj!! So glad you made the move :-)