or Connect

Posts by LauraN

Parks! If I remember correctly, the French love to take their children out to parks, even in winter. Go regularly enough, after school hours, and you'll start seeing some of the same people over and over. Even without approaching them at first, they'll soon seem familiar enough that it won't be as hard to talk to them :)   My sister homeschooled her kids in small-town France for a year and found the socializing very difficult. But she also found that homeschooling is...
ljooj: Welcome to the UAE! Are you in Fujairah or Dubai after all?   Brooke: There's a good group of homeschoolers in Al Ain... let me know if that's the sort of group you'd be interested in contacting. Lots of baby-wearing mamas when our Abu Dhabi group met up with them at the Al Ain zoo!
Try this: http://www.aldoshoes.com/ca-eng/women/sandals/wedges They say they ship free to Canada, and if you scroll down, many styles are within your budget. I would stick with navy or white, and though I favor the espadrille or strappy styles, I think you can also get away with flip-flop styles with a bit of heel. Definitely stick e with wedges for walking on grass--they also tend to be more comfortable than heels in general. HTH. /laura Sent from my iPhone using...
I'm curious what country you live in...? If you poke around, you might find a thriving expat homeschool group that would help you gather the courage to just homeschool without using either of the school options. Unless homeschooling is illegal where you live, it might be worth it to check out the third option: just homeschooling. I live in the United Arab Emirates and there are several fantastic homeschool groups here. We are loving the freedom we have from school-imposed...
Make sure you're logged in Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We had a Jumpstart membership for a year. I went ahead and paid for that because I knew one month wouldn't be enough. My kids used it frequently, though certainly not daily or even weekly. So I just asked my DS (9) what was so much better about the membership than the free. Apparently there are a whole series of areas and games that are not accessible via the free account. The child reaches a limit fairly quickly on the free version and it becomes frustrating not to be...
I think I just approved your membership to the homeschool yahoo group ;-) Welcome! There is a wonderful homeschool community in Al Ain, and if you post an intro on the yahoo group, folks will reply with contact info for the Al Ain group. There is also at least one midwife among the homeschoolers in Abu Dhabi and several MDCers.   It's great to hear there will be a birth center in the region!
I search on MDC for posts freaking put about the same thing, read all the calm responses, then take a long shower and let it soak in. During my shower I consider what might happen if my child never .... and then think about how we can move forward without whatever it is. Funny, because I'm a journalist, writing has always been second-nature to me so that's not something I ever worry about in my kids. Math, on the other hand, I worry about constantly... But if I just watch...
Do they both have to make the *same* decision, or is it possible for one to homeschool and one to go to school? I would say they've told you what *they* want and maybe it's as simple as just listening?   Oldest son says he wants to homeschool. So it's really just a matter of finding replacements for the things he loves about school--maybe your school will allow him to continue in the band  after school? Or maybe there's a homeschool or after-school band elsewhere...
Our homeschool group has several clubs but having a place to meet weekly would be so great for us. I wouldn't want to do science in the library, because I think that has to be a messy subject.   But we have a book club where we read a book each month and meet at the end of the month to discuss it. The discussions are based on the book "Deconstructing Penguins" about discussing literature with kids. The kids all bring a "response" to the book, usually a piece of art...