or Connect

Posts by LauraN

I don't homeschool in Georgia, but my parents live there, so I have researched the topic in the past.   This is a great site that has all the information you need: http://www.heir.org/. Check the section on how to homeschool legally in Georgia.   My understanding is that you do have to administer the standardized tests every three years, but the results do not need to be presented to anybody. What this means is that you give your child the test, then file it...
It sounds like you've made the right decision for your family, which is the best thing any of us can do!   I would caution, though, against concluding that "so many women feel aversion" when tandeming based solely on these forums. Keep in mind that the nature of forums is for people to post only when they're having issues, not so much when they're having none. It's a rare person that would think to post, "I'm tandeming and it's going great!" unless the question was...
Tell her you "will not condone" being yelled at and will not continue to bring him in if she insists on yelling about something she has not solid facts about. His weight alone is not an indication of malnourishment, so tell her to stop trying to intimidate you.   Stopping breastfeeding will not change his eating patterns, nor will it have much effect on his weight, except perhaps a negative one when he stops getting those extra calories.   But your ped sounds...
I don't have any info for you, but it occurs to me you might try cross-posting in the spirituality or religious studies forums. There are many very knowledgeable posters there who may not be breastfeeding at the moment and thus may not frequent this forum...
My feeling about pacifiers is that, if we say that children vary greatly in how long they nurse, then why should it be any different for a pacifier? If you lived in Miami, your child wouldn't seem at all strange--many four and five year-olds run around with pacifiers in their mouths there. So if the age that is "acceptable" is totally cultural, then it has nothing to do with a child's actual needs. Perhaps the best thing is to start limiting it to those times when it's...
My parents are Gran and Papi (she's Irish/American, he's Mexican) and DH's parents are Teta and Giddo (Lebanese). We tried to go with Sito for MIL, but when they were babies Sito and Giddo sounded too much alike, so she said we should call her Teta instead.   My sister's kids, who are French, call her in-laws Mamie and Papi, so then they don't call my dad Papi like my kids do. Instead they call him Grampy.
Oh my goodness, 6 months at age 5 is not enough time to know whether unschooling is "working" or not! It takes longer than that for the parents to get their footing and start looking for and recongnizing all the learning that happens in every day life! Of course, you have to make the best decisions for your family's unique circumstances, but I just want to put it out there that you may not have had the right information about what unschooling is all about...
I told my good friend, in a horrified voice, that her 3 yr old was much too old to still be sleeping with her. Luckily, she got to laugh at me recently because my 6 yr old still sleeps in our family bed along with my 3 yr old.
Check out the Living Math site. You can definitely introduce math concepts and explore fun mathematical ideas without introducing worksheets that your child might burn out on quickly.
On many unschooling forums/discussions I've seen the suggestion that ages 13 and 14 is when the more "academic" learning becomes important to an unschooled child. So maybe it has less to do with your community and more with her age?   I would take this as an opportunity to really lay out your unschooling philosophy for her and explore with her what things she's interested in, what things she thinks she should know, etc, and start looking into those things. She might,...