or Connect

Posts by LauraN

Quick update, now that I understand so much better what the homeschool "scene" is here There are two major homeschool organizations in the UAE. One is the Abu Dhabi Homeschoolers Association, which has members in Abu Dhabi and Al Ain. The two groups have individual park days and other activities, but do quite a few field trips together each year. Information about them can be found at the new ADHSA Web site, abudhabihomeschoolers.org. They also have a yahoo group at...
My grandmother and grandfather are "Gigi" and "Fafi"-- Gigi is for G.G., and Fafi is because when my generation was young they insisted on a very formal "Grandmother" and "Grandfather." Fafi was the best some of the babies could do with Grandfather. Posted via Mobile Device
ETA: I am SO embarassed. I came to this thread from the New Posts and didn't realize it was the veg*n area!! Still, I'll leave it because my Lebanese BIL was vegetarian for a while and my MIL still made this recipe, substituting cubed potatoes for the meat. I would personally use a non-MSG veggie broth in place of beef buillon and add cinnamon. I hope I didn't accidentally offend anyone. A Lebanese recipe my MIL makes, green bean stew:...
I'm surprised they charge extra for it. As far as I know (from traveling a lot myself and just observing...), airlines are super careful with UMs, as they're terrified of being sued! UM's get special treatment, lots of attention and are never, ever left to fend for themselves. She'll be fine! What an awesome opportunity! Posted via Mobile Device
I am American/Mexican married to Lebanese DH and living in Abu Dhabi, so I feel like you're talking directly to me In our homeschool group here are at least four other Lebanese/American couples. We wanted to move here primarily to be closer to Lebanon without being stuck there should violence break out. We're planning my (and the kids') very first visit there soon and we couldn't be more excited. We also have close friends and beloved family to visit there. So I can't...
For a school job, the OP would be out of the house approx 8:30a-2:30p. And I don't know how common this is, but the places I've been in, HS activities (social ones, like park days) tend to occur in the afternoon, generally after 2 pm. So if the kids slept in til 10a, ate breakfast and did some schoolwork, say until 1pm, then watched TV and had lunch, Mom would be home just in time to whisk them off to a museum, park day, sports activity or whatever else. And presumably...
The mom says she and her husband can't stand to hear the baby cry, and the columnist responds with... Quote: I hope you and your husband can be honest with yourselves if you are in fact so tear-averse that you're headed toward obeying your kid. That sounds militantly anti-cosleeping to me. She definitely needs some education on how bad CIO is for a baby's brain development.
Quote: Originally Posted by MuslimMama She is not looking for a babysitter nor am I interested in babysitting... their mother is a stay at home. I think you're misunderstanding--what we're all saying is that in the eyes of the law you can't homeschool them because they're not your kids. She can homeschool them (all paperwork must be signed by her) and you can "care for them" even if you end up being the one doing the actual educating (or...
I want to add a voice of hope--Ds1(now 8) was just like that. If I was cooking I found that putting his stool at the sink with just a trickle of water coming out of the tap and a bunch of non-breakableI dishes was the only thing that kept him busy for long enough to let me get dinner made. Nothing else worked. I think around 4 he started being able to do tasks that were actually helpful, and now at 8 he makes snacks for himself and his siblings and prepares side dishes for...
I dont't think that will hurt the baby. Dextrose and maltodextrin are basically sugar and starch, not great as regular additives, but not harmful once. The rest are herbs. Chamomile is the main ingredient in natural colic and teething remedies, so EBF babies have been given those two for a long time. Likewise, fennel is a very gentle herb used for digestion issues, so I'm sure none of the ingredients will harm your baby. I think I'd first of all thank MIL for using...