or Connect

Posts by LauraN

I agree with the above PP. Generally, homeschooling is assumed to be done by the child's parents. Otherwise, it's called tutoring or babysitting or school, and different standards or regulations apply. You might look into what it takes to incorporate as a school and what the requirements are for the student then. For example, in Florida, homeschoolers are required to have an annual evaluation by a certified teacher or annual testing. But private schools are required only...
Quote: Originally Posted by treegardner I wouldn't do anything unless it happens again. Also, I would try to handle as much of this as you can in person with your neighbor. DH are managers of an apartment complex and I can't tell you how many times messages in notes were seriously misinterpreted by the receiver. So many issues could be more easily handled by a quick face to face conversation. This. As someone who HATES confrontation, I can see...
Great documentary. As I was watching, I was thinking in terms of showing it to my parents (who support what we do, but ask a lot of questions and don't really "get" it) and I'm not sure that it would add much to their understanding. I hope that if your sister gets funding, she will be able to delve a little deeper and really explore how unschooled children learn, what sorts of things they do. In other words, the philosophy is clearly laid out in the documentary, but the...
I can't help you, but my parents live in Cumming (Dad's involved in the local Democratic Party) so I just wanted to say hey! We used to visit frequently when we lived in Fl, but now we're halfway around the world from there. Anyway, good luck with the move! Posted via Mobile Device
Quote: Originally Posted by saimama I'm not even convinced that letting your child CIO is damaging in the long term... I'm just not sure that there is real evidence to prove that theory. How about a Harvard study that shows it can cause PTSD and anxiety disorders? http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/1998/04.09/ChildrenNeedTou.html Posted via Mobile Device
I have 5 nephews and 2 nieces. I love, adore, my sister's kids and my SIL's kids. I think it's because I'm really close to both my sis and my SIL and we talk about our kids and challenges of raising them frequently. So I feel really involved in their lives. My BILs daughter, though, I just don't know as well and I don't see her as often. It's not that I don't love her, more like I just don't know her as well. Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe once every six months. (LOL, I answered the haircut one first, but my answer is the same!) HODY go out dancing? Posted via Mobile Device
My husband has been bugging me for years to buy the kids a game console and I've resisted, remembering how I got sucked in when I got one as a teen. I finally gave in--very reluctantly-- a month ago and we bought a Wii. We got the Wii sports package as well as the Wii Fit board. I *love* our Wii. I love doing the Fit program (though I think the Wii Fit Age is a bit hokey as it can vary so much), and I love watching my kids play the physically active games. DH gets home...
Welcome from Abu Dhabi!!! Posted via Mobile Device
My family and I just moved to a country where gender identity is *not* up for debate, where women are very definitely second-class citizens, and where a 16-yr-old girl was recently put in jail for having been raped (her fault for wearing certain clothes). In this culture where men are the lords of all they survey, boys wear pInk and purple all the time among all the other colors available to them (girls pretty much wear black from about age 8) and the standard male...