or Connect

Posts by LauraN

I've been following your threads on this and have been sympathizing! Big . I don't have any great advice except to say that it's not easy being married to someone from another culture. But it sounds like you've made every effort to meet him half way and he's having trouble getting there. Have you tried NonViolent Communication? My hubby (Lebanese) and I have been reading it and it's helped him a lot to be able to express his feelings (and it's helped me express mine...
Speaking through a bite of banana. Cramming a mouth full of food and then trying to shove one last little bit in. (I used to do this w/grapes as a kid, but grapes are much different than a sandwich). Piles of stuff everywhere, no matter how "neat" they are.
My ds went through this too, at about the same age. I was finally able to figure out that he was afraid he would pee in the bath. No amount of assuring him that that would be fine worked. Finally, we asked him if he wanted to wear Swimmies into the bath. That did the trick.
Quote: Originally Posted by swimmin_mama That said, all that stuff drives me absolutely NUTS. I am currently trying to coax my stoic Middle-Eastern husband out of his emotional shell (good God don't get me started on that again :LOL ), and lemme tell ya this process isn't for amateurs. :LOL Also, I think we need to separate the questions - one is "Why aren't men here on MDC?" and the other is "Why can't my damn husband contribute more to...
OMG! You have just described the last few days around here. The problem is, it comes on suddenly, a few days before my period, and ALWAYS catches me off guard. So the first day I'm a raging beast and neither DH or I has any idea why. If I could anticipate it and warn him, things would be way better. But it's rare that I do. I guess I could start keeping a calendar... I like the necklace suggestion.
I remember several months ago I received a postcard in the mail for a Reggio Emilia school near me (Hudson or Bergen counties). I can't find the postcard anywhere, nor can I find the school online. Does anyone know about it? Thx.
I will cross-post this in the Tribal area, but I wonder if anyone out there knows of a good Montessori school in North Jersey? Or a list on the Web of Montessori schools? I'm in Hudson County, though nearby counties are fine. I've been searching for one, but have so far come up only with "fake" Montessori schools. I know there's an issue with copyright, etc, but how do you go about finding bona fide ones?
My mother threatened to spank my son a couple of days ago. Since she didn't actually do it, I waited for a few minutes to pass so ds wouldn't hear. Then I said, "please don't threaten to do something when you're not going to do it." She said, "Oh, but I will." And I said, "Oh, no, you won't." We had a silent standoff for a few minutes. But then I said, "Mom, let me start again. What I'm trying to say is..." Then I went on to give her a run-down of gentle discipline...
But what about comments that completely UNDO what you're trying to accomplish. Like the time DS decided he wanted to try wearing underpants when we were at my in-laws house. Then he had an accident and FIL said, "shame on you. you wet your pants." BOOM. In one fell swoop he undid everything DH and I try to do. I didn't worry so much about the immediate end of potty training, since I'm perfectly happy to wait until DS is ready again. But to SHAME my child at such a...
We just came out the other end of a bad word period. In a moment I'm not very proud of I yelled "f*** you" to my DH. DS (3yo) immediately picked up on the power of that word and before I knew it he was using it at preschool (As in "I don't want to take a nap. F*** you.") His teacher said that, while she had a hard time keeping from laughing, she couldn't have him saying that b/c all she needed was for the other kids to pick it up and for the parents to freak out. So we did...