or Connect

Posts by danamichele

I find there's a spectrum here.  I've been taken aside by strangers and praised up and down for my worthy occupation as a SAHM, and there are people who probably assume I lack the intelligence and/or motivation for an occupation.  I think I am the one who feels most conflicted about it, and that overshadows what other people might think.  While I want to be home with my kids and wouldn't change that for the world, I do feel like a piece of me is on hold.  I failed to...
I think the issue with praise is that children can learn to do things for other people without learning how to be self-motivated and proud of themselves (called "externally contexted").  That's why noting what the child did ("You spent a lot of time on that painting!") is preferable because it points out that they can be proud of their own effort, regardless of what other people think.  Those things can be said with genuine enthusiasm so they know you are paying attention...
I think this is one you need to trust your gut on.  My daughter has anxiety. Even before I knew this I knew she would not do well if I left her, where she would feel alone, insecure, and betrayed.  She would panic.  Her preschool teacher was so warm and welcoming and willing to work with us to make sure my daughter felt safe and loved at preschool.  The three of us worked together to ensure everyone was comfortable, which did require me staying for the first week.  She is...
Well it looks like I'm in good company here!  I just do what works well for us. That's definitely closest to AP, but not totally:   One daughter had vaccine reactions and is very selectively vaxed; the other daughter is fully vaxed. I have always used disposables without guilt. "Treats" aren't very rare... too much sugar. Discipline is louder than it should be. I'm not against Western medicine; it has worked for us when naturopathic hasn't. We have too much...
Oh wow, I identify with you!!  My child is definitely very bright but has not been tested for giftedness.   Separately, in searching for answers to her emotional and behavior issues, I stumbled upon "overexcitabilities," and looking into all this seems to explain so much more than any other ideas/advice we've been given so far.  (My husband and I are goth gifted as well.)   As for resources: I've taken parenting classes for 3 1/2 years, we've talked to the...
Montisorrimama, I remember moments like that in Italy when I was pregnant with my daughter.  Italians LOVE pregnant ladies!  I went at five months and got so many happy looks and comments there, and came home and people looked at me like I was an alien when I referenced my pregnancy.  Did they just think I was fat?  I dont' know.  It's different here though.  I'm glad to hear you're having such a great trip!  It's fun living vicariously through you.  :)
I don't know.  I've heard people say it does, but others don't think it necessarily correlates.  I only have one daughter now who is VERY active on the outside (which I can see compared to other kids her age), but I have no other measure to know how active babies are on the inside.  But activity is a temperamental trait, so it makes sense that it would start in utero.   Any other moms want to weigh in?
I like this idea.  Thanks for reminding me to slow down and appreciate this time in my life!   *Going through the journey of pregnancy with my 2 1/2yo daughter, or at least she *thinks* there's a baby in her tummy, too. *The way she sweetly said so many nights, "Mommy, I'm sorry your baby died, but I'm happy you have a new baby," after the last pregnancy ended early in miscarriage.  It's amazing how adults so often say the "wrong" things but a 2 year old can bring...
Wow, so much going on with you all!  Kelsey, I'm so glad you're doing okay, and Diana, your babies too!  It's good to read all the exciting updates.   I was feeling so upbeat last time I posted, but now my food aversions and uneasy stomach seem to have returned a bit (I'm 15 weeks tomorrow) and I've been lightheaded with a headache much of today.  I'm so glad it's the weekend and my husband can pick up some slack and let me rest-- which I have done like a pro, taking...
I'll do this for this pregnancy and for my previous one.  My family has a very strong history of late births, though.  (My aunt even had twins a week late, with her second pregnancy!)  So obviously the later date was more accurate for me with my daughter, and I'd be surprised if this little one proves otherwise!   First Pregnancy: LMP: 12/10/07 Naegle's Method: 9/17/08 Mittendorf-Williams Method: 9/25/08 Actual birth date: 10/3/08   This Pregnancy: LMP:...