or Connect

Posts by karanyavel

I grew up around smokers and have many smoking relatives, plus I tend to be pretty lassez-faire  about a lot of things, so I'd personally insist on handwashing but not changing clothes. In my experience, hair absorbs smoke more than clothing does, and you can't really ask her to wash her hair every time she smokes. Of course, any reduction in exposure is better, and as others have mentioned, there's the possibility of causing a rift. In the end, I think having access to...
Never!   Sorry, that's not actually helpful. But my daughter was a HUGE spitter -- I can't recall for how long, though -- and at six years old she still has reflux.   One thing that struck me as odd is that your son's spit-up smells like vomit. DDs never did, even when she was eating solids. I'd get it checked out, but maybe I'm overly cautious. I wonder if some kind of intolerance is at work.   --K
This is absolutely true. As someone who has worked extensively with OB/GYNs, I can tell you that many interventions are performed because people don't (usually) sue because the doctor did "too much" (unnecessary interventions that lead to poor outcomes) but because the doctor "didn't do enough".   --K
I'm so sorry.   I've been trying for over a week to figure out how I could express my reaction to your story without rubbing salt in your wounds. Please try not to take offense at what I'm about to say. My only intent is to thank you for sharing your story, never to hurt you in any way. I cried when I read your birth story, I cried when I watched your video, and I was so angry to hear that Faith is still practicing. I am horrified by what happened but so glad you...
Monday Feb 7th: With my due date rapidly approaching, my midwife asked if I'd like my membranes swept. I agreed -- the supervising OB for the freestanding birth center she works at requires a bunch of tests starting at 41 weeks and I wanted to avoid that, plus I was starting to become really miserable with hip pain and round ligament pain. She checked me while she was in there and I was a stretchy 3cm, 70% effaced and the baby was at -1 station. A few hours later, I...
It annoys me because answering truthfully often leads to judgment, unwanted advice, etc. None of which I appreciate. It seems to depend a lot on where you live though. Where I grew up, no one would blink an eye at hearing we homeschool (admitting to unschooling probably wouldn't have gone over well), and saying you're a stay-at-home mom when asked what you do for a living wouldn't have been an issue either. Where I live now, homeschooling is really viewed in a negative...
  At around here, persistence seems to the the key.   The police here did a wellness check on my now-husband because he'd moved cross-country out of her house and into mine (to get away from a borderline abusive situation with his parents). He was 18 at the time. Of course he was fine, but they came over, asked to speak to him alone, verified I hadn't kidnapped him or something, and asked him to please call his mother so she would stop calling the police station.   There...
#1 - 40 weeks on the dot #2 - induced early #3 - 40+2    
I just say, "We homeschool so she's in different grades in each subject, but if she were in public school she'd be in either Kindergarten or 1st grade." We switched to unschooling a few months ago but I'll probably keep saying something similar because I really hate my choices being questioned. I think my new line will be, "She's homeschooled so there aren't really grades; she learns whatever she's ready to learn."   --K
  I've heard the same thing but I've always heard that GD is a good predictor of your personal risk for developing type II diabetes. As someone with a pretty strong family history of Type II diabetes, I find it reassuring that my GD tests (1- or 3-hour) are always VERY negative (e.g., 70s on the last one and I was definitely not fasting.. I had a pretty big meal before drinking the glucola). It takes a real effort, even in pregnancy, to get a reading over 100 for me.....