or Connect

Posts by WednesdayO

Quote:   How do you use the honey? Warm it, simply wash with it, etc?   Thank you all for your ideas!
Quote:   I didn't know keratosis pilaris could be related to vitamin deficiency. How would you know either way? She was a 29-weeker, and we were told keratosis pilaris is common in preemies, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.   We are located in the Triangle area of NC... the area between Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill.   I haven't heard of Lather. I'll check out the site. Thanks!
Well, she uses a soft wash cloth and isn't really using any product that had rough texture or is exfoliating. She does use lotion most of the time. She also has bouts of keratosis pilaris on her upper arms, so we lotion for that.   No, I don't think there's any kind of increased stress (other than signs of the 9-10 year change way too early) and definitely no dietary changes. Puberty, ugh. What a horrible word. However, I am thinking it might be the earliest...
Quote:   Only her t-zone is oily, but that seems to be a new thing as well. They are mostly just bumpy and skin-colored, but occasionally she gets tiny whiteheads and rarely blackheads. She washes her face twice a day most days. Other than the home remedies, we've tried Aveeno Smart Essentials, Neutrogena Ultra Gentle, and maybe some kind of Burt's Bees? (I think I got those names correct.)
My daughter is 8.5 and has recently been getting a few breakout areas, especially on her nose but sometimes on her chin. Otherwise, she has skin that tans if slowly sunned, but she also seems a little sensitive to products.   What are the best natural remedies for her? Some of the things I use for myself seemed to help at first (lemon juice), but I'm not sure she's up for other things that aren't as easy on the senses (apple cider vinegar).   Any ideas would be...
Quote:   I went to a public school here in NC, and we took naps on mats spread throughout the classroom during 1st grade. I'm not sure how many of us slept, but we had the quiet time set aside with the lights out... but that was 1983-1984, so I was 6 then turned 7.   As for my daughter's Waldorf school... Last year in 1st grade they had a quiet time to nap, but not all of them did. Now in 2nd grade, it's more like a quiet activity time for free choice inside such as board...
Here's the info from our newest family handbook. This is the everyday dress code, not including assemblies or upper grades.   General Guidelines Clothing should be well fitted—not so large that it extends over hands or feet. Likewise, clothing should not be overly short, tight, backless or strapless. Wide, sagging, overlong, baggy or mesh shorts or pants are unacceptable. Boys may not wear sleeveless shirts. No writing on any garments except for Waldorf school...
Congratulations to him if he finds the teaching job he wants! I know it can be difficult doing so.   Quote:   I think there are all kinds of people no matter where you live, but I see your concerns. If you're in a smaller town, there might be a smaller ratio of them and therefore they stand out more. Sorry that I don't have more specific information about the schools there.
Quote:   I agree with Jacquelin as well! Coming from a "mainstream" early childhood background, I really just threw aside things I do professionally when it came to my daughter. She was much like yours starting around 2.5 or 3.   We answered her questions about words and signs etc with basic answers but didn't go deeper. We also read books as if we were storytelling by not showing her the pictures or words until she was older and/or had heard that same story several...
I grew up and lived in Rocky Mount (Nash County) until 2001. Since then, I have lived in that Nash County/Wilson County area (though not directly in the city of Wilson) for a few months in 2006 and then 18 months 2007-2009. I have friends and family around there still, so we visit from time to time. Wilson has grown as far as shopping and some newer houses, but it's still a small town. It's always seemed much more friendly and open-minded than Rocky Mount, which is...