or Connect

Posts by WednesdayO

Quote:   Thanks! Well, about 3 years ago, we were trying to figure out the whole schooling thing, and our plans were in flux. I knew about Mothering and finally joined looking for support from like-minded folks.
Quote:   Absolutely! There used to be an active Triangle area group on here, but I'm not sure what happened to everyone. We live in Durham County with a Morrisville address right at RTP but are planning on moving further into Durham or Chapel Hill very soon.
Quote:   Me too. I've been a vegetarian for 20 years and have only had one cavity my entire life about 2 years ago. My husband, on the other hand, isn't a vegetarian at all and has had several. I'm sure genetics and lots of other things play into it as with any health issue.
Hi there. I know how difficult it can be moving, especially over large distances.   There are TONS of vegetarian, no vax, delayed vax families in the area. It's overall fairly crunchy. There are lots of mommy/parent/family groups, some that are quite active. Being the "Triangle" area of NC has several universities and the Research Triangle Park, there are opportunities for a pretty good quality of life. If you don't find what you're looking for here, the mountains...
Quote:   In the sense that it's a home nursery program, yes. The children are in a multi-age group with her general age range being 2.5-6 years. My daughter actually went there 5 mornings a week for her Kindergarten year before 1st grade.   If you're looking for a more mainstream Kindergarten experience with academics, then no. BUT it's kind of like Kindergarten at the Waldorf school. The only difference is the age range there is smaller; 4-6.5.   Does that help?
Quote:   Well, of course you have to do whatever is best for you and your family. The only thing that would probably be different than sending children to school is the other children being there.    I sent my daughter to a Waldorf home nursery for her Kindergarten year simply because I was in school myself. I basically needed child care in order to do my coursework and student teaching. A Waldorf setting was the best choice for us since she couldn't be at home. She...
Quote:   Well CatsCradle has already explained her POV on that, and I was just adding to her comment to help add to that train of thought.   I remember getting paid $5/hour as a "mother's helper" or "babysitter" when I was about 11 myself, and that was 25 years ago. It's funny how monetary amounts in certain circumstances change so drastically over time and in others it doesn't really change much at all.
Quote:   Minimum wage in the USA is $7.25 right now. Here's a site with info.   http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm
OP, your rant gave me a giggle! You sound so much like I did when my daughter was 3. She gained an interest in reading more from storytelling and being read to and seeing us read. Then she slowly starting picking it up on her own and asking questions about words in the environment. She was in 2nd grade and well on her way to 8 before she really sat down and read by herself. And you know what.... it was like magic!
Quote:   Well, I can tell you that it's definitely worth the money if it is within your budget. Our daughter attended all 5 days each week, so the fee was greater than most of the other families. It was much more affordable than Kindergarten at Emerson Waldorf School for us. Check out her site!  http://www.morningsongnursery.com/Morning_Song_Nursery_School/welcome.html   It will be quite different than a Montessori program, so that's a choice you'll have to make as well....