or Connect

Posts by WednesdayO

Quote:   Well, I can tell you that it's definitely worth the money if it is within your budget. Our daughter attended all 5 days each week, so the fee was greater than most of the other families. It was much more affordable than Kindergarten at Emerson Waldorf School for us. Check out her site!  http://www.morningsongnursery.com/Morning_Song_Nursery_School/welcome.html   It will be quite different than a Montessori program, so that's a choice you'll have to make as well....
As an educator myself, I know and have known A LOT of state certified/licensed teachers. Many of them weren't worth much, so I would say that it doesn't matter. In the public school realm, I have learned that unless the teacher has a degree in birth-kindergarten education, they probably don't really know much about child development, family life, and the human being as a "whole" entity. Teacher education programs tend to focus on academics, and although curriculum is...
Quote:   I don't understand "highscope/steiner". HighScope is based on Piaget's and Vygotsky's theories and was developed in the 1960s. Steiner started the first Waldorf school in 1919 based on his own philosophy of Anthroposophy.   I'd like to hear more about the program you mention.
Quote:   My daughter attended Morning Song for her Kindergarten year, and it was amazing for her. Joya is so nurturing and really understands the children. I can't say enough wonderful things about her and her nursery!!
I sent in my application to the Fiber Craft Studio one day after it was available online, then yesterday I had my phone "interview" and was accepted into the program! I am sooo excited!
Quote:   I have been told (by whom I can't remember) that EWS takes into account the teacher's comfort and experience level when it comes to larger class sizes. A growing enrollment is welcome of course since the school needs any extra income it can get in order to thrive, but I don't think they'd push it too far. The physical room spaces are somewhat limited - more so in some grades than others. That is also a concern of mine.   Here are our approximate class sizes as...
Hi there. Emerson Waldorf School is in Chapel Hill, NC. People have moved from other states and territories to attend!   There's definitely a liberal community in this area. There are LOTS of farmers markets and CSAs etc. NC experiences all seasons, but overall we tend to have plenty of sun.   As far as reasonable cost of living goes, I think it's okay. You would probably need to live in a more rural area if you want to be close to the school, because Chapel Hill...
Hello! I have an 8-year-old daughter and a computer geek/professional husband. I am an education professional myself, and I always fell outside the box a little... so when I found Waldorf it all just clicked.   We started our Waldorf path at a Waldorf- and Montessori-inspired home preschool 2 mornings a week, then for her Kindergarten year she attended an amazing Waldorf-inspired home nursery. It was the perfect decision, and she truly flourished. She is currently in...
Quote:   I never learned anything about the program at Rudolf Steiner College other than what is on their website, but I have heard many great things about the Fiber Craft Studio. So, I have chosen to apply for the program there, and yes, also because of it's location. I did, however, find some Steiner-related art/art therapy programs abroad, but that opens a whole other can of worms!   You're correct about the length of the programs, but it looks like the overall length...
Quote:   I second this one. I think E. was 6 when we read this. She LOVED it. I grew up watching the movie.