or Connect

Posts by WednesdayO

That is a detail from Raphael's Sistine Madonna.
Quote:   Yeah, pretty much. Nothing with media characters or cartoony illustrations. Something about St. Valentine would be perfect, because she's in 2nd grade and they are studying saints this year.
Please suggest a Waldorf-y Valentine-related book for my 8 year old. I want to buy her a new seasonal book, but would like something about love or Valentine's Day. Thanks!
I never saw this post before! I adore Pinterest. Here's mine: http://pinterest.com/weasleywendy/  
Thanks, thatgirliknew!!  
I'd recommend Your Four Year Old: Wild & Wonderful if she likes easy reads. If I remember correctly, that series of books are simplified versions of publications from the Gesell Institute of Child Development. I started reading them at either the 5 or 6 year old edition, but they are pretty good.
Quote:   Definitely ask lots of questions at the school you're considering/attending. Strangely, I think beliefs and policies can be very different from school to school. After reading about experiences with bullying and learning issues at other Waldorf schools, I feel fortunate to be part of a Waldorf school with a no-tolerance bullying policy that includes faculty and parent training, as well as an Educational Support Coordinator... and we're really not a very large...
Quote:   I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I have seen some very strong-willed children that are very active and have difficulty following directions et cetera flourish over time in a Waldorf setting. Sometimes it is just "kids being kids" and maturity will change that, and also the nurturing environment, consistency, and following through of instructions and expectations that generally occurs in Waldorf develop self-regulating capacities in children. Some children...
Welcome!   Quote:   Research has shown that no matter what age children begin reading, they generally are all at the same level by 3rd grade (I think that's right.), unless of course there are any learning boundaries that need support. Writing is actually introduced first and reading blossoms out of that. It really is amazing how delayed academics work for some children.   Coming from a more traditional early childhood background, it was a little unnerving to have faith...
Quote:   I would hope the answer to that would be "YES!". Part of Waldorf education is the parent education aspect that comes in the form of parent meetings et cetera. I have yet to meet a Waldorf teacher that isn't willing to explain the "why" of what they're teaching or to elaborate concepts of the curriculum. If you approach the teacher with a genuine concern, I would hope you would get an authentic answer. I always ask for ideas about how I can support the curriculum...