or Connect

Posts by hippiemom

Maybe soothing sitz baths for the skin, with a nice cotton sock full of oats that she can squish in the tub water?  soothing..  Calendula and comfrey ointment is nice, or A&D/lanolin, very protective.     As for night time covers, my kids wore the 7th Gen's but that was years ago before they apparently changed {and they were younger}.  Maybe a night time "pull up" for older kids?  It may be that because your child is bigger and older she is leaking with diapers....
 Great to try natural remedies, but with strep, if you are not seeing improvement after 24 hours, do seek medical care.  It can escalate and cause severe damage/other conditions that are much worse.     I went in with my daughter once, who tested positive for strep, and then I tested positive for it too, though I had NO symptoms.  The doc put her on antibiotics {she was feverish and in lots of pain}, but not me.  I was told that it can come in different levels of...
  I am a schoolteacher.  Just hearing the word "nits" makes my psychological lice come back.. {itch itch my scalp here}   I have always seen and recommended that you re-do treatment after 7-10 days of initial whether you see nits or not.  They are hard to see, esp on thick or very light hair.  Do the treatment of your choice and do it again in about 8 or 9 days.  Do a comb-out and a third {non-chem this time} treatment after ANOTHER 7-10 days.     Make certain...
  Mama, I feel your worry... been there.  My sis had severe childhood asthma and it runs rampant in my family {though I don't have it}.  My 3rd child, my baby boy, had his first wheeze at 11 months.. This, after I had birthed and was raising 2 girls so successfully with whole food, herbs, etc.  I was frantic, took him to every natural practitioner, etc.  Everything helped a little but nothing made a huge difference..     I had to accept the medical regimen because...
OY!  Yeah, those herbs will promote his vigourous spirited self..   Maybe the doc is thinking that, similarly to how Ritalin is a stimulant but has a focusing effect on ADHD chemistry, these will do the same??  mmm  that is sticky biz.   The best way to treat/explore ADHD without or with minimal drugs is to find an educational setting for the kid that is open to and experienced with that.  Find a school that understands not all kids learn by sitting in a desk....
As far as "BO" and hair health goes, what you put in your body is more important than what you put on it.  Drink lots of water and eat impeccably.     I like deodorant/antiperspirant and shampoo myself, but in the cooler months I lay off the anti P and just use a perfume bar, all natural, from "Lush" {you can find them online, pretty pure}.     Lots of natural, nourishing soaps out there that are nice alternatives to regular shampoo if you find them too harsh....
Hello all,   Being a holistic sort, I know that eczema can be connected to allergies, as well as an autoimmune condition, ramps up with stress etc.  I have tried to explain this to my DP, who lives on stress, eats whatever he wants, etc..  My question is this:  even the 'scrip cream he has does not relieve the itching lately.  I made him hold an ice pack on it last night and he did so {grudgingly} until he said, "oh that actually does feel better."  SO now I have a...
Susun Weed's Herbal for the Childbearing Year is THE BEST...  I raised 3 kids on it {all the way to college!} and the info in that book never failed me.  Great great recipes and how to use them with children..     That said, if you or yours do not like the green taste of Nettles {it is an acquired taste} you can make it into syrup or tincture..  I use the tincture in spring/summer months and give the syrup to kids.  I make a weaker tea strain of the infusion and...
I would take the AB's and keep the stitches very very dry and clean, no salves or anything on them..  There is no need if you keep them clean and covered with breathable dressing that is changed regularly, and are taking AB's to kill what sounds most definitely like an infection. Any salve is going to keep the wound moist and attract bacteria {unless it is Neosporin, but again, I would opt for dry and clean}.  I have had 7 major orthopedic surgeries, one of which went...
PMS is no fun no matter how you slice it...  I think most women would say they have a day or two a month where they would rather NOT {work, go out, deal with annoying/challenging people, etc}, and that is normal.  Your symptoms of long crying jags, overexhaustion, and heightened anxiety are concerning IMO..  It depends on your own quality of life, and sense of self/what is normal to you.  Does it impede your daily functioning?  Take you out of the game for more than a...