or Connect

Posts by hippiemom

Protein intake and vitamins A and & D affect your nails moreso than calcium..  Still, I understand your wanting to get it in your diet despite not eating dairy. Soy, Rice, and Almond milks are fortified much the way cow's milk is.  Sesame seeds, leafy greens, and non-dairy yogurts are also good sources.  
Hello all, After a lifetime allergy to peanuts and chocolate, of late I have noticed a problem also with wheat.  I should say, grains in general, as when I eat too much of anything {oatmeal, rice, any sort of bread including sprouted grain} I get terrible stomach pain, {lower gastric I should say, TMI so sorry} and feel like I have eaten and am trying to digest a brick.     The only things that help so far are cutting wheat out, grains down, and watching my sugar,...
Look at your sugar intake...  If you are eating lots of grains and sweet things your insulin may be working overtime, which tends to gather fat in the middle.   SUCKS I know, I have to monitor this about myself all the time.  When I keep sugar {of ALL kinds} and grains to a minimum, I feel and look much better.
I second the "Flylady"... great step-bystep- organization and self esteem boosters.. i have recommended her to many. I do not belittle your depression/fibromyalgia, but think of how it seems to "outsiders". Are these conditions so far gone that you "can't take care of" your childrens' living environment? This is the question DHS will be looking into.. among other things. And YES, it is urgent when they get involved. Call on all help you can and get the WHOLE...
My DP has major depression, with other health issues that lead/fed the depression piece. For 8 months we were together with nary a hitch. He had episodes and I either gave him space, or was there for him as a quiet presence. Even crashed out/no energy, he remained gentle and sweet to me, was clear about wanting me there. Last week he had a bad crash that has lead to him falling off his routine of care. (poor eating, no connections, changed meds). The difference in...
I have three kids... two are teens and one is 9. Two of them are a couple of the worst picky eaters I have ever encountered. I love them, but God, they used to be a pain.. because I let them. I found that if I served something along the lines of what they liked, with one new thing each meal or each day or every couple of days, they warmed up to it.. esp if I did not allow snacking. I stopped giving in to pickiness because it just got worse when I catered to it. I...
Full first aid kit, sunscreen, bug repellant really good books and board games/cards for nights (assuming you have no tv etc) Hand held games, iPods if you got 'em and your kids like that stuff art supplies like crazy! journals
YES it DOES sound like a spider bite and I'll tell you how I know... I got a sore much like you describe, except the white center turned into a hole and the red surrondings turned an angry purple black... then it spread to other nearby areas looking like I had been bitten several times when i was actually reacting to the venom/infection of the primary bite. 3 days on abx did not touch it and the pain got worse, I had a low grade fever at this point. The overall radius...
I just watched a National Geographic special with my DP about stress and its ill health effects, and within that they discussed how chemically, biologically, and certainly emotionally it is HEALTHY for us to do compassionate caring acts for others. It makes us feel better AND it benefits our overall health. Isn't that the coolest thing?? ...and it comes back to us of course. I watch my partner struggle with this, and it is our small outings or random things that...
You may have a sensitivity to the meds and it will take a while for your liver to process it fully and clear it. Drink lots of water, eat good green veggies and light protein, and rest. You say you are not on "serious" pain meds, but what are you taking?