or Connect

Posts by SimonMom

Number the Stars was one of my favorite books as a child. I read it so many times. In fact my 8 year old and I took turns reading it to each other the other night. However, I'd say Number the Stars isn't the nuanced book you're looking for, bad and good are very clear in this book. I wanted to read it to my son for several reasons..one being that I enjoyed it so much, and the other reason was that he, like many boys, is happy to play more violent pretend games, sometimes...
Hey Comtessa.. I'm actually not sure how you should address it, but I just wanted to say I'm in Cleveland too :p I'm not a professor mom, but I'm a student at CSU.   
I don't have much time for a long post..but I just wanted to say that when my kids were younger I always considered nap time and bedtime sacred. Meaning I did put off social outings if they were at nap time. Really, it won't last that long. Eventually she'll become more flexible with naps, or they'll be shorter, etc.Also, if you do let her sleep at 5:30 on days when she doesn't nap, that also wont' last forever. Yes, for a while, there might be limited family time during...
*hugs* i'm finding it hard to know what to say without knowing any details. are you jealous over something specific or jealous about many things? it sounds like a tough situation... just wanted to let you know someone is listening..
Well earlier you said not using dear lacks finesse, yet you seem to be agreeing with me. You don't use dear in semi formal emails either it seems. It seems too stilted.  I  don't think my professor's not using "dear" with me as anything at all to do with where I "sit on the totem pole" and more with their familiarity with me. In most of the emails I send or receive to various people for various reasons, dear is rarely used unless it is very formal. Emails =/= letters. 
I agree...sounds like your alternator.
Well..times have changed :p I don't see why it baffles you. Isn't language fluid? I'm sure letter writing 100 years ago was different then it is today, and now it's changing even more. In semi formal usage it seems "dear" is falling out of favor. I can't imagine using "Dear" to address a professor, or fellow grad students, or even the secretary at my eye doctor's office who I've recently exchanged a few emails with.That would feel incredibly...
I'm "younger"...28. I'm also a student, and I rarely use "dear". It does sound too flowery. In fact, most people rarely address me as "dear" either. For instance in emailing the department secretary about scheduling, she refers to me by my first name in starting the email and vice versus. Same with emailing professors, it always starts with a first name. Even if i was emailing a doctor, I would not use dear. I don't feel comfortable using dear and I think it has...
Those several paragraphs sound like a completely typical 2 year old to me. :p I have 3 high energy boys, 8, 6, and 3..and they all had behaviors similar to those you mentioned. What behaviors specifically are you worried about? I dont' see anything in those behaviors you mentioned above that would worry me except *possibly* hitting his ear a bit. Really though, I wouldn't be concerned.. *hugs*   
My 8yo is also in scouts. I'm atheist and non-homophobic lol. It depends on the local group I think. I'm pretty sure most people in our den/pack are pretty liberal. It doesn't bother me at all that the meetings are held in a church. They're not affiliated with the church in any way except that the meetings are held there. We love scouts. I had many of the same reservations as you, however it's been great. In fact, next weekend we're participating in a family campout. And...