or Connect

Posts by janeshep

You asked about your latex mattress - it depends on what else is in it besides latex. It's very difficult and very expensive to get pure natural latex. Most latex is a blend of natural latex and chemicals. You would need to check with the manufacturer to see what chemicals are used. And even a latex mattress needs to be fireproofed according to law so unless it's covered in wool for fire-proofing, there are toxic chemical fire retardants used. Foam is polyurethane foam...
Vinyl is the last thing you want next to your baby. Here's an excerpt from an article I wrote on vinyl/PVC and other toxins in mattresses and beding: Most crib mattresses have a vinyl covering for waterproofing purposes. Vinyl (polyvinyl chloride or PVC) is considered to be one of the most toxic and environmentally unfriendly plastics used. Since PVC is a hard plastic, chemical plasticizers must be added to make it into a soft and flexible covering. These plasticizers...
I've smelled these things and they certainly smell like they're off-gassing. It would take some digging to find out just what chemicals goes into this toy. The retailers wouldn't know and the manufacturers are usually hard to find and to get clear answers. Natural rubber has to be processed with chemicals in order to be formed into balls like this. But without knowing what chemicals are involved, it's hard to say if it is safe, although I would guess not. Jane
I've been a WAHM for 15 years and started Healthy Child in 1997 to inform other parents about what I learned regarding holistic medicine for children and natural parenting. I added non-toxic organic mattresses, bedding and other healthy, safe products in 2006. Valerie, another WAHM, joined me in 2008 and we are happily raising our kids while doing our passion. Healthy Child provides baby and child natural health and holistic pediatric medicine information and holistic...
Dr. Neustaedter is presenting a free webinar for parents on this exact problem. It's on holistic treatment of colic and reflux. He's going to talk about treating symptoms of excessive crying, pain with gas using homeopathy, herbs and nutritional supplements. http://www.healthychild.com/digestiv...lic-in-babies/ Jane
It's also possible for vaccines to cause seizures. If that's the case, classical homeopathy can be very helpful. But this level of damage needs to be handled by a qualified classical homeopath. Jane
Ditto to all the suggestions from allnaturalmom. I've also used raw garlic for sinus infections and all types of infections and it really does work. I read a long time ago that raw garlic is more potent than penicillin. It's not pleasant to eat raw garlic, but probably better than having the sinus infections. I would also take probiotics if you've been on antibiotics before.
Vitamin D is definitely not a scam. It's not overblown that most people are deficient because the government recommendations have never been adequate and with all the sunscreen use. Will it cure and prevent everything? No, but you can't be healthy without levels above 50 ng/ml. And it takes a lot of vitamin D to get there. There's a ton of research on this. It has to be D3. D2 is not safe or effective. What's really good to know is that vitamin D has been proven to...
I would agree with that but only if the mom has adequate levels herself. If not, then the baby may need to be supplemented in order to not be deficient. Jane
There is no exact amount of vitamin D that everyone should take. We're all different and it depends on a lot of factors. Dr. Cannell, the director of the Vitamin D Council says that pregnant and lactating women should get about 5,000 IU to maintain their own levels and the levels of their babies. You may need a lot more since you've only been taking 400 IUs and you have darker skin. Dr. Cannell suggests starting with at least 5000 IUs and then get tested after a few...