or Connect

Posts by Meanderinghome

95% of the product's ingredients need to be organic to use the "Organic" label
My family will be moving to Southeast, TX at the end of the month.  This is one of our concerns too.  We are a crunchy, AP, breastfeeding (tandem nursing my 2 yr. old and my 7 wk old), babywearing, cloth diapering family.  I stopped vaxing my daughter after 12 months (even then, she was on a delayed vax schedule), and we plan to not vaccinate the new baby. 
Should I be concerned about this? When I took my intact newborn to the doctor, she pulled back the very tip of his foreskin to "check the urethra." It didn't look like forced retraction, as it was just barely done to the very tip. Also, Little Man didn't cry, so I don't think it hurt him, which from what I understand, forced retraction hurts. Is this an okay practice for doctors to perform, or should I be concerned the next time I take him in? Thanks!
Here's the e-mail I sent. I was tempted to send her some pictures of me nursing DD, but that might have been taking things a bit too far. Dear Lisa, You may think breastfeeding in public is in poor taste, but I think your comments are in poor taste for several reasons. 1. You state that breastfeeding in public is indecent and should be regulate. Thankfully South Carolina law PROTECTS the nursing mother and her baby's right to breastfeed anywhere. The exact...
A radio host in South Carolina says that nursing mothers should breastfeed their babies in the car or on the commode. She also says nursing mothers can feed their baby while driving to an eating establishment (though she recants this statement later). Then she proposes that there should be a public indecency law for nursing in public, when the SC law states exactly the opposite. Listen here (about 6 minutes into the show and discussed for about 25 minutes) if you want...
If you want a quick reply to the HIV/STD claim simply say. The best prevention is education such as ABC (Abstinence, Be faithful, Condoms). This makes a lot more sense than amputating a body part, and if you aren't teaching your child safe-sex practices, you've failed as a parent.
My mom brought up the subject of circumcision today. (I decided I'm not going to raise the issue with her, but talk to her about it if she raises the issue.) This time she didn't even mention the "medical" reasons or her opinion as a nurse. Instead she gave the locker-room argument. Apparently she had discussed this with my BIL who said that he remembered intact boys getting picked on in the locker room. I told her that if her child was getting teased for having a...
Thanks everyone, for confirming what I figured must be done, but really did not want to admit. In happier news, my MIL who had the same misconceptions as my mom (and even had a son who went through forced retraction and later complications) has been very open to new information. I had no idea that leaving our son intact would cause such a big uproar amongst family members. But the circumcision rate is still really high here (82%), so I guess I should have been more...
I am having a little boy in September. DH and I are both very much anti-circ, and the more I read about the topic the more angry I get that it is still routinely practiced here in the U.S. The topic of circumcision recently came up in a conversation with my mom who is a Registered Nurse (R.N.) with over 30 years of nursing experience. Anytime I tried to explain our position to her, she continually interrupted me and insisted that an uncircumcised penis would get...
RDA is hosting a blog carnival in response to the Pampers page. The idea is to get as much true information out there as possible. If you have a blog consider participating: http://realdiaperevents.org/archives...sustainability