or Connect

Posts by P.J.

I just wanted to update and bump this. The huge wart actually got knocked off his chin during some rough play and he slammed his face into the side of the sofa accidentally. I was so happy it was gone, and appeared really to be gone, for awhile. But even before it got knocked off his chin, I had noticed two teeny tiny little other warts next to it. And sure enough, in time those little suckers have now grown. One seems to grow bigger every day and the other is not as big,...
  Haha, thanks for your reply! Yes, it's this "learned helplessness" that concerns me. I feel (and his preschool teachers have observed the same) that he enjoys being "serviced" and is just lazy about it. My question is whether this is really one of those things I need to worry about and take action on, or if it's of no consequence and not a biggie. I don't want him to carry this into adult life, meaning he grows up to be a lazy, dependent person who can't get things done....
We have similar issues with my 3.5 y.o. He seems to be addicted to watching Curious George on the iPad. It's the first thing he wants to do every single day as soon as he gets home from preschool. Until he's seen Curious George, he doesn't want to do anything else like play or go outside (in all fairness it's dead of winter so we're not exactly spending every afternoon outside anyway). He often pitches a fit when I take it away. I always count down the episodes (he usually...
My son will be four in May. I'm a little concerned that we somehow haven't helped him in the natural movement kids at this age make towards independence. For example, he still wants us to always put on and take off his shoes for him, get him dressed, and wipe his nose for him. There are more examples (he's also been extraodinarily resistant to potty training, which I have for now given up on). He goes to preschool and there he does all or most of these things himself most...
  Not necessarily true.
  I was thinking about this too. Not a huge ordeal but could be a pain in the butt for her and kinda confusing in some situations. I personally would just change it legally. Why does going to the county court seem so daunting to you? You go, you fill out a form, and it's done, right? You will have to show ID and pay and stuff but I don't think anyone's going to tell you you can't do it. IMO it's just clearer that way, also for other people. If you just start calling her by...
I only have a tip what not to do, which has been posted here already, and that is do NOT get your own agenda and timetable and make the unilateral decision that "we are doing this now" and push your child to do it. Apparently this seems to work for a lot of people because nearly every method out there is a "we're doing this now; how to potty train in XYZ many days". I tried that and it backfired miserably. I think I may have done it too late, as my son was right before his...
I'm sorry that happened, and glad he's recovering well.   My son has a small toy airplane and the very tips of the wings are like little knives! I guess we're lucky he's never been hurt by it. He doesn't play with it very often though.
Young children learn though play. No need to go out of your way to teach him anything at this age. They naturally learn and we naturally teach them, without even trying. Let him enjoy his early childhood!
Just an update that I have dropped it. I was out of ideas, and I felt that I couldn't do anything without stress.   Meanwhile, he goes to a Waldorf preschool. The head teacher there has assured me that they've seen several kids 4+ toilet training, and once even a 5 year old. She is very accepting of it and to her it's just a simple fact that some kids train later, and not a big deal. That said, they are very gradually working on it with him. He wears pull-ups at...