or Connect

Posts by blake201

Hi all,   I'm not sure if I really need advice here, or more just sympathy. I haven't slept in a few days, so my story may be a bit garbled.   Anyway: my 26-month-old daughter had actually nightweaned a long time ago, but has now regressed, and I'm completely exhausted and frustrated and not sure what to do. Add to that that she nurses like a newborn during the day, and her increasingly poor nursing manners, and my usual total love for breastfeeding on demand is...
Zombie mama of a 16-mo-old here! We moved DD into her own room a few months ago because she kept kicking and punching us in her sleep and was nursing every 30 minutes sometimes. For a while it seemed like a huge improvement and for a few weeks she even slept through the night... I'd nurse her to sleep for an hour and put her in the crib, then go nurse her in the morning before work. I started feeling so alert and human again and even got to watch movies in the evening w/...
  My nursing philosophy has always been, within reason, to let my nursling nurse on cue for as long as she wants, whether that's for 5 minutes or an hour or two. But now she wants to nurse for four hours in the middle of the night. I'm sleep-deprived and my nipples are sore/raw and I don't know what to do... help/advice/please?   For the last four days, my 14-month-old toddler wants to nurse NON-STOP for FOUR hours between 3 am and 7 am. (sidelying nursing while...
I totally understand your reluctance. To your question--would I do it?   Yes--I just did let my 14-month-old stay with my mother-in-law overnight while my husband and I went to a movie, restaurant and hotel for one night for our 4-year wedding anniversary. I was really reluctant to do so, and I inundated my MIL with my advice and worries... but it was fine. She nurses a lot (2-3 times during day and 2-3 during night), but eats plenty of solid foods, so I left a...
My 14-month-old daughter just gives this "a-hem" cough, twice, like an "excuse me" type cough--she's been doing that for a long time. Often accompanied by a firm tug on the shirt. Sometimes she adds "na na na."
Oh yes, yes, I do! I experienced extreme breastfeeding pain, thrush, vasospasms, damaged nipples, etc... I had to pump for a week because my nipples were so sore nursing made me scream and cry...! But of course pumping for one week is not the same as pumping for three weeks or more...    
Hi APToddlerMama,   I'm not at all offended, and I really appreciate your sympathy for my friend! Just to clarify, I gave her that AP advice as a list of ideas in response to her repeatedly ASKING me "What can I do to bond more with my baby?", and NOT as a pushy list of chores "you're not doing enough to meet AP standards" assessment! I have also told her repeatedly that bonding takes time for many moms and is not magic/instant ... The reason I started thinking this was...
Thank you gemasita--this sounds a lot like what she is going through. If you don't mind I will anonymize your comments and email them to her... she might really appreciate it.    
Thank you everyone again for your helpful comments. matte, when I say "far away" I mean a few states away--a six-hour trip for me via Amtrak and car, and I don't have a car. I wish it was just Inwood!   Those are all good ideas. My mom bought her a few hundred dollars worth of gift certificates for local food delivery, and when I visited her I brought her a bunch of prepared food... but not sure about trying to enlist friends and neighbors. She only just moved to where...
Thank you holothuroidea--I really appreciate you sharing your experience with this. I've been hospitalized for mental health issues briefly myself and I also worry that it doesn't help long-term... so while I want her to get help for PPD I want to make sure it is really good help. I wish I could just get her local La Leche group to come visit her regularly but I think the closest meeting is an hour away from her. I SOOO wish I could go stay with her to help. :(