or Connect

Posts by LittleBattleAxe

Did you initiate a conversation with the teacher and what was the teacher's response? We have struggled with the math curriculum in terms of, well, it's wack, but have always gotten cooperation from teachers giving credit when the correct answer is obtained even when the strategy being taught wasn't the strategy being used. The math is taught now makes me, personally, nuts, and at home we do things the way I was taught, which is much easier (there are a lot of...
Quote: Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl And that is why standardized tests are ! Seriously, I hate them. But geesh...who grades this stuff? Do they get all the answers out of a textbook from the 1940's? Knowledge is not standard! Interpretation matters. I can answer that, because I've worked for the company that scores most of these standardized test (ETS) and the one that scores most public school NCLB tests (Pearson). Depending on...
I'm a teacher; in that situation, the first time it happened, I would give her credit BUT I would find a quiet moment to talk with her and explain that she misinterpreted the directions, and that I was thrilled with her answer since she perhaps didn't understand the directions... however, if the school is preparing her for a standardized NCLB test (and most schools are), it is imperative that that she is able to respond in the way the test-writers want, because scorers...
Not sure how things work at your school. If my attempts to work things out had been fruitless, I would come in before school started on a Monday morning (being prepared to wait) and ask to see the principal, I would state my intention to wait as long as necessary; I would thank the principal for meeting with me and state that as of today, my son needed to moved to a different math class, or I would be pulling him from his present math class every day to teach him myself. ...
I was the parent who was very, very reluctant to allow my children to be tested for gifted services. I had, and have, a whole big slop of baggage having to do with labeling children and in particular, the gifted label. FWIW, it has made virtually no difference whatsoever in how one child is schooled, and it has made a great deal of difference in how the other is schooled (2 children are designated gifted). I still struggle with issues related to giftedness and how those...
I took it in 7th and it qualified me to go to Duke's summer program. I am guessing other programs use it as a qualifier. Otherwise I can't see any real advantage or disadvantage.
Yes, I'm a teacher. And yes, the GRE is required. It's an M.Ed program -- there are similar programs that don't require the GRE but they are not exactly what I am looking for. Many schools that offer dual cert/Master's programs don't require the GRE. This will be my 2nd master's degree.
touchy subject. I think sometimes we (collectively) forget to revel in the families we have and dwell on the ones we want.
I would stick it out. Those people in your program, they don't have to be your friends; you don't even have to like one another, you just have to have some sort of professional civility. I liked almost no one in my grad program, which was very touchy-feely and full of "let's all give each other a hug!" stuff that has no appeal to me. I graduated and moved on and never see them or think of them, really. Now I am about to start a 2nd Master's program (and now I fit into...
I posted in Sept but here's the recap Ds1 (almost 11) really likes his class this year -- there are 6 kids in GT in 5th grade and three of them are in one class, his. He's thrilled about that. He ran for student council and didn't get elected -- but he has some social anxieties and I was really excited that he ran. He didn't try out for orchestra AND decided not to try out for choir, which upsets me -- he doesn't want to do any activities other than hanging with his...