or Connect

Posts by EllisH

(Crossposted on Breastfeeding forum:)  I have posted on my night feeding challenges before, but the problem has persevered (one solution suggested, cosleeping, doesn't quite work for me, or at least not for the whole night, as I don't sleep well with my son in the bed, although I do take him in when the light breaks).  I have been feeding my 4.5 month old son (who grows like a star) on demand since he was born. He always fed frequently and for relatively short periods....
I have posted on my night feeding challenges before, but the problem has persevered (one solution suggested, cosleeping, doesn't quite work for me, or at least not for the whole night, as I don't sleep well with my son in the bed, although I do take him in when the light breaks).  I have been feeding my 4.5 month old son (who grows like a star) on demand since he was born. He always fed frequently and for relatively short periods. The nights have always been challenging,...
I wanted to CD, but gave up early (overwhelmed).   I am now using Nature Babycare and I love them:    http://www.naty.com/us/Home/tabid/90/Default.aspx   Not just because they are green and largely biodegradable: they're also very absorbent and my son (3.5 months) hasn't had a rash yet.  Most nights, I can make do with one diaper only (but do get the biggest size his weight will allow).    A friend of mine gave similar glowing reports (she used them also next...
Thanks for the advice - I'll try tucking in half my duvet at the bottom and getting my upper half warm.  Sounds like a good setup.
Thanks everyone for the responses!  It's reassuring to know it's probably a growth spurt (meaning it will pass and that he does need the feedings indeed).  I had a nap with him in the bed in the side-lying position yesterday: it was indeed very comfortable and he had a much longer nap than usual.  So I'll try it out at night as well.  Any advice on how I can make sure he won't get under the blankets?  I have a duvet right now, but can replace it with sheets and blanket....
  Thanks - I have started to sleep with him in my bed from around 6am, but the sleep I then get is just not very deep, I cannot fully relax.  I do agree that the co-sleeper bed might as well have been in another room, in terms of how the effort it takes to feed him.  But I do like him being close to me and being able to hear him (although that also may be part of the problem).   I am so exhausted, I really need something to change.  Am so tired now that I cannot even nap...
I am breastfeeding my 3-month old son on demand and we are co-sleeping with a sidecrib.  He's always wanted to eat every 2-3 hours during the day and has never slept longer than 3,5 hours at a time at night.  It's been hard (esp. as the weeks go on), but if I have found a way to deal with.   But now, as of recently, he wants to feed every 2 hours or so at night.  Take out the feeding time, getting him back to sleep soundly, and falling asleep myself again - and...
Seconding what's been said above about abundant supply.  One breast per feeding and / or block feeding (one breast per 3 or 4 hours) helped a lot for me.  As soon as I got sloppy on this, the poop turned green again. 
I can only comment on the amount of time per feeding: my baby boy (now 11,5 weeks) also only fed 5-10 minutes at a time, but quite frequently, from 2 weeks on (as of recently, he's nursing for longer stretches). I was told very early on by a lactation consultant that he was a 'snacker' and needed to nurse for 20 minutes at least.  But he was gaining weight well - very well, in fact, his growth curve was steep and way up there.  It turned out I just have abundant supply...
Thank you, both!  I just called my doctor, who told me it would probably go away on its own.  He advised a nipple shield to avoid further irritation, but I like the suggestion better to latch my son in such a way that the corner of his mouth is over it.  I will also try the warm compresses (before feeding).