or Connect

Posts by EllisH

SumnerRain, if it's any comfort, I am having the same problem.  I had some (borderline) UTIs earlier, but while my urine is now as clear as could be, the lower abdomen pain / pressure / need to pee / burning hasn't gone away...  I find that it helps if I lie down on my left side / hang in the couch on my left side & take rest as much as possible.  Sitting on a straight chair for several hours makes it all worse.  I just came back from an information evening on...
That sounds good, must be a relief!
Hi there,   Sorry you got so worried.  They will surely not just cut you open - their first action most likely will be to monitor the baby's heartbeat (externally) for 30-60 mins or so to check on his/her basic heart rate and activity pattern (I've had that happen a few times) and then take it from there.  They will not go into serious action unless there really is something wrong.  After all, it's in the baby's interest to stay put a bit longer and getting him out...
(Last response on this issue) I said: "It has been shown that the risk of complications is much higher when starting at home and then needing to be transferred vs starting in the hospital."  That is not the same as: "the risk of complication is higher if one begins at home."   My claim only concerns the group who starts at home but then needs a transfer due to complications vs the group starting in the hospital and then develops (the same) complications.  You are right...
    Actually GoBeCo misses the point: I referred to research showing that for those that need to be transferred from home to the hospital for a certain complication the outcome is more negative (in terms of infant mortality) than for those who will incur that same complication starting in the hospital.  I made no claims about home births *creating* complications (and I don't believe they do - I just believe problems may occur outside anyone's control or foresight).  
    Belltree, could you please explain what you mean by your last sentence?  I am aware that people here will likely disagree in sentiment / principle with me, but that doesn't mean that I don't read and interpret information carefully.  Also, there is always the need for interpretation of scientific results (and then applying it to yourself), leading to differences in interpretation.   So I am aware of the likely causes the authors cite - but they don't seem to...
I will be giving birth for the first time also - in January - and am opting for a hospital birth (in an - academic - hospital that I trust).  Home births are very common in the Netherlands, and there's been a lot of research done on it as a result.  It has been shown that the risk of complications is much higher when starting at home and then needing to be transferred vs starting in the hospital. In addition, if the baby needs acute help upon being born, it will also be...
I just meant the baby's weight :-)   I can tell from his movements he's grown so much bigger just over the past 1-2 weeks!
Do call when you are concerned, but once you've called, don't worry too much!  So many women here are developing all kinds of pains and aches, incl. myself (have got myself checked into L&D twice already over the past few weeks...).
Some tips (I am sleeping OK-ish at the moment, but suffered from bad bouts of insomnia at different points in the past):   -warm bath / hot shower before bed   -go to bed an hour earlier, so you feel you're ahead of the game (I know this can backfire if you go to bed too early!)   -relaxation exercise: once in bed, start relaxing body part by body part, from the toes up all the way to the top of your head.  Focus on each part and let it get really heavy and...