or Connect

Posts by MamaSmurf29

Your doctor's view can definitely be influential. My Dr when I delivered at St. Ann's was respectful of my birth plan and told the nurses to wait when they wanted to give pitocin etc. However that may have to do with it being thanksgiving - there weren't any other drs on the floor lol. It doesn't cost us much more for a homebirth than a hospital birth with insurance because of our high deductable...I don't know if there are any birth centers around or not. Last I...
This is REALLY helpful. It lets you look up numerous statistics from the hospitals in Columbus. According to them, St. Ann's now has a 24% incidence of c-sections for low-risk, first time moms. OSU is 30%. CHOICE is 4%. (I'm just really big on not having an unecesarean lol, as you can see).
Please please please steer clear of OSU!! Unless their policies have changed significantly since the time I gave birth there in 2004 (which I seriously doubt since I've heard stories from other moms AND they still have cesarean rate that is through the roof!) they are the worst place to give birth in all of Columbus. I almost had an unecessary c-section there due to their over-management of my birth and faulty equipment and just a horrible experience in general. The...
That's really difficult. That's good that you other ladies were able to get out of it, but for me I'd probably want to do it just because it might be interesting. I'd probably pump and save up some milk in the freezer beforehand. The big problem would be getting childcare arranged - because we never use any at all - as well as not leaking all over the place!! You said there aren't always long enough breaks to pump...that would be a problem for me! My boobs would...
Hmm I don't know I seem to remember my 5 year old ripped thru several presents in like 2 minutes flat. The biggest thing is to keep them curious as to what's next and if you have some idea of what the gifts are, keep the really cool ones till last so they aren't too distracted to open more. In my experience I do think it would've offended people not to open the presents there.
I would say it depends on the kid. Starting out faster in some things doesn't necessarily make them smarter or mean they'll be good at it later in life. When I was a toddler my dad said I did great with math flashcards, but later on ended up in the special ed class in math. I like to read 123 books even with my babies as soon as they can pay attention but who knows whether it really helps in the long run. So don't worry about it. Kids will learn in their own time.
If I could start over I would've done this from the beginning: *Keep all the toys in locking cabinets with labels as to what they are. As a former preschool teacher that was the way we did it - ESPECIALLY with art supplies. Otherwise the place woulda been a painted tornado zone. When the child wants something he just asks and you get it out and then he can't have anything else until he's done playing with it and puts it back. I mean 2 or 3 things at a time...
Don't know if I would be much help since my 1st and only experience with the giant mouse (also known as Migraine Hut) will hopefully be my last. Maybe encourage your child to rip open the package quickly like a contest. Keep handing the presents and say "Ooh what's next!!". Just have to make sure it comes off as eagerness not rushing lol. Sneaky but might work.
Yesterday my 3 year old came up to me and said "Sometimes I think you don't love me because you yell at me." OH. MY. What am I doing?? I read a book a while back about anger management and it helped me sooo much. I wish I could remember the name of it! Looks like I need to read it again!